1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The GC member Carboot sale

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Steve R, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    There are many references to GC members, growing plants for sale at Carboot sales etc. Can those who do this perhaps add a post with their experiences of this?

What do you grow specifically for sale, how many do you take along and at what size, for how much?

I would like to be able to sell a few plants, not to make oudles of money but if it pays for the compost I buy or some of the seeds then it will help me greatly.

So, spill the beans! (into a tray and cover with compost etc).

Steve...:)

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve,

Usually Beans, Tomatoes, Herbs, Strawberries, Aquilegias, Forget me nots, Squashes.

Usually charge 25p a pot, thats governed by what the others are charging.

Make sure you have enough stuff to look like a plant stall though, if you've only got a few pots in with all the other stuff they tend to get overlooked.

Produce will sell quite well too.

• Like Like x 1
    • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      This is a brilliant idea Steve.
      I always thought about joining a boot sale but never could think of anything to sell because something like toys they are finished in like seven days with my kids and clothes i have barely the essential and same for the housegoods.
      If i don't use something I don't keep it.

But your idea of selling plants -which one can grow from seed- is brilliant! (I will investigate about this)

I can tell you as a customer in a boot sale what I would like to see...
      carrier bags suitable for whatever you are selling.
      Also some board listing the varieties that you are selling with the prices so if you are busy talking to a customer for example one can already have an idea if there is something he/she is interested in.
      Also it would be nice to have a special deal, maybe a few different plants already packed together for those who cannot decide what they want.
      As for what to sell, just look what people buy from your local nurseries supermarkets etc I don't think it would be the same everywhere.

• Like Like x 1
      • lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
        Ratings:
        +641
        If anyone has access to the coffee machine them used cups make good pots for selling stuff on saves on the outlay for 500 pots!

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        I buy the floppy polythene pots from 2 wests & elliot. I also raid the pot recycling skip at the nursery.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Trying to talk my daughter into doing some to help her fund raise for her World Challenge trip, so:

Beans - runners, french or both?

Tomatoes - standard cordons like Moneymaker, or will the likes of Sungold or Tumblers sell better/attract a premium/not sell?

Herbs - what sells best, curly leaf parsley or flat leaf?

Strawberries - I deliberately stuck a load of semi-fresh manure around those in one bed last year as it's supposed to suppress fruit but encourage runners and I've got hundreds of rooted runners. I assume start selling small and carry on potting up/increasing prices?

Squashes - is it best to stick with courgettes or will the likes of butternuts, custards, etc. sell well?

Flowers - What about sweet peas? I got thousands of saved seeds (seed saving can be compulsive).

• alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,073
        Its ages since I sold at a 'Car-Boot', but I found that perenniel herbs - thyme, chives, sage, rosemary went well. Also perenniel flowering plants, aquelegia, alchemilla mollis and so on.

With any selling it is always important to pay attention to presentation - clean looking pots, bright bushy plants, no weeds popping up in the compost and clearly labelled.

Re: sources of suitable pots, both Lazydog and Zigs suggestions are good, also it is always asking on 'Freecycle' as almost anyone with a garden accumulates pots and would be happy to see them used rather than just chuck them

I don't think you should expect to make a fortune though, after paying the 'gate money' (our local CB its £12 for sellers), add your petrol getting there and perhaps a cup of tea etc., so you have to sell a lot of plants at 30p - 50p just to get your outlay back - Anyway Steve, best of luck - let us know how you get on.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,310
        We sold close to 1,500 plants in the seven hours we had our garden open on the weekend in May.

If you have enough plants then it's easier to manage if you divide them into price sections.

What you can charge will be governed by what others are selling them for and how your plants look compared to theirs.

We always make sure that the plants are a reasonable size so that nothing is under 50p and the ones usually at that price are veggies and herbs. We've found that toms, courgettes and beans are the most popular of the veggies but are closely followed by squash and brassicas. Beans need to be sold in groups of five or more to a pot or tray. The size and how healthy they look determines how much you can get for them.

Most other plants, unless they are seedlings, sell for a minimum of 50p but anything up to about £2.50. The most popular plants are those in bloom and they fetch the higher price. So if you can bring things on well enough in the tunnels you will have a great advantage. As Ziggy has said, Aquilegias are popular but they need to be in bloom for them to sell well - and at a higher price. If you're able to grow more than one colour (even the bog standard wild type) then people will buy more than one.

If you can be seen to be giving advice on care etc then it will help promote the sale of other plants.

If you're going to try to do a regular sale then you could offer to make up hanging baskets and pots etc. to order. Price these at between 50% and 75% of garden centre prices. We find that we are usually asked if we could keep the price down by using their old baskets. As long as they're in reasonable condition it saves you the outlay. We always buy new liners for the baskets (priced in to your quote). If their liners aren't in too bad condition you can always use them for your own baskets.

As miraflores says, having something for them to take the plants away in is very helpful. We use a variety of containers. We spend months collecting supermarket bags (all our shopping is done using their bags and not the bags for life type). Also from the supermarket we take lots of boxes - these are the shallower type that contained veg or fruit. Then there are the thin plastic containers, mainly from the dairy section at the supermarket, that held larger yoghurt containers and similar. I help the supermarket by tidying up their stock and combining part containers of the same product into one container. These containers, though flimsy are quite good for people who buy up to six pots.

I've put aside a couple of hundred small pots for you and a load of proper pot trays and shall bring them up for you - but we're not going to be there until just after the Jubillee celebrations. I may be able to get hold of some bigger pots from some gardeners I know but I'm not sure how much space we'll have in the car.

• Like Like x 2
        • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
          Ratings:
          +6,654
          I've tried selling plants at carboot sales and been succesful, but you need to do a bit of research because I've found that at particular sale people want things for next to nothing where as in another area people are quite happy to pay good money for quality plants :thumb:

As well as carboot sales I did really well on Ebay last year, I sold over 50 (as many as I could get going) oranges, lemons & grapefruit seedlings, as well as a few canna, passion fruit, lychee, everything except the canna which were surplus to requirements came from supermarket fruit. The oranges and lemons sold for between £2 and £6 each but most were nearer to £2 each; which for something that I'd grown from a pip is great. Didn't make a fortune but it more than paid for compost etc for the garden :thumb:

I had really good positive feedback from all plants sold, some even getting in touch months after to say the seedlings I sold are growing on really well and they'll be keeping an eye out for more plants which I might sell; so I will be selling some on Ebay again this year :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,310
          • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,389
            Now I feel like I really should look into this...

• Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
            Ratings:
            +3,225
            I tried selling plants nearly 5 years ago at our favourite bootsale. I only sold one plant, the place was rammed, people were looking but no one bought anything except one guy at the end bought a foot high musa basjoo for £5.

I think I was asking for too much money in hindsight but I don't really want to do it again. I prefer buying the plants from the bootsale rather than trying to sell my own. Perhaps one day I will try again.

• Like Like x 1
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              That is the trouble with bootsales, not many folk are willing to pay the going rate. I've had people trying to get plants off me for 20p, like that will cover time, compost, petrol & entrance fees.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,997
              Did anybody else get into a feeding frenzy when Wilkos sold these pots off cheap a couple of years ago?

72 x 80mm pots for 25p and 96 x 60mm pots also reduced to 25p per pack. I only bought a few packs of the 80mm pots as I've a source of free 3" pots, but got over a 1,000 (11 packs) of the smaller 60mm ones @ 96 for a pack of 25p as I thought they'd come in handy one day, perhaps for individually sown bean/sweetcorn seeds etc.? Found them whilst sorting out the greenhouse today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
              • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +5,385
                hi jane,ive never sold plants on a carboot but i love chesterfield market on may day,you can buy toms, peppers,loads of varieties of mint,herbs and any amount of plants from local growers pretty cheap :) ..i love buying :thumbsup: