The good, the bad and the indifferent

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by The Lost Antheus, Jun 14, 2008.

1. The Lost Antheus

The Lost Antheus Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Well successes so far this year have been honesty (seed), phlox (cuttings), rosmary (cutting of the one that died), mystery plant (seed, still not big but growing will have to post some piccys), cornflowers (seed).
    Failures Red Valerian (stem cutting), aubretia (cutting), Lonicera Victoria (seed germinated then died)
    Indifferent Lonicera Victoria (two seedlings which have remained seedlings with four leaves and tiny for about 3 months now!), Red Valerian (tuber with one tiny speck of green)

2. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    TLA, i don't mean to be mean but thank goodness it's not just me, lol. I have some of those 'stagnated' seedlings too. Wish they would do one thing or the other:)

I planted far too many nasturtiums in the pots so that now, even with a few flowers coming out, all you can see are these enormous leaves:).

A few others starting to get buds on but I can't remember what they are, doh. Still we will keep on won't we.

cheers

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    My next door neighbour has a young puppy, who is a lovely dog. But he does like labels. When he comes into my garden, I am left with a pile of half chewed plastic labels - and a lot of 'what's that'

4. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    :DOh Peter, how frustrating. Can't blame anyone or thing for my lack of labels I'm afraid. I'm waiting till they flower then going back to the seed packets:rolleyes:

cheers

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I shouldn't complain about the labels. It just shows my ignorance. I have a friend, who lives close, who has well over 1000 small pots of seedlings and small plants. There isn't a label amongst them. No need she says, I know what they all are!

Congratulations on your successes Antheus. I get a lot of satisfaction from seeing things grow. Still not too late for sowing a few more seeds. They are unlikely to flower this year but now is the time for thinking about some biennials for next year - Foxgloves, Hollyhocks, some Lupins and one of my favorites Salvia sclarea http://research.ncl.ac.uk/medplant/about_mprc/My Webs/Sage/S.sclarea/about_sclarea.htm

6. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    The good: campanulas (just stunning), aquilegias (gorgeous), New Dawn roses, Salvias, hollyhocks
    The bad: cosmos (tiny compared to last year), zantadeschia (disappointing), malva (too thuggy)
    The indifferent: penstemons and dahlias (not as good as usual)

I don't know why!!!