The Lost Gardens of Heligan

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by Fran, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Now this a must. The video doesn't do it justice, it is a truly magical place. From the woodland, containing the jungle and the lost valley, to the northern gardens - sundial, flower, and a vegetable garden to die for. This is a garden from the past, but incorporating the future - and I will certainly be returning - this time in the spring to see the rhodies and camelias. The first pool picture is the lost valley, the last picture is the Jungle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,095
    I think its come on a bit since I saw it back in 97, it was still being found, bit by bit then.
    Nice pics Fran, do they still have those frames filled with manure creating the heat to grow pineapples.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yup, or at least in part. They decided it was too labour intensive, and have moved to modern heating. :D

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,095
    Thats a shame. :D
    Looks like you enjoyed it though [​IMG]

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I did indeed. I think that of all the visits - was the best.

6. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Fran.Love the pictures of Heligan.We have been twice,the 2nd time last year,and I can say,it is well worth a visit,though we found it is best to get there early before the crowds start,and it gets too hot.

We found it is nice with the overhanging foliage on a hot day,as it adds a bit of shade,when walking round.
    Now we have digital cameras, we must go back.
    Well worth the money.

We are on the Isle Of White at the moment,and suffering with the heat like the rest of the country.
    Heard on the radio this morning that the British Isles,or parts of it are hotter than Spain...

Kandyfloss

7. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Fran.Love the pictures of Heligan.We have been twice,the 2nd time last year,and I can say,it is well worth a visit,though we found it is best to get there early before the crowds start,and it gets too hot.

We found it is nice with the overhanging foliage on a hot day,as it adds a bit of shade,when walking round.
    Now we have digital cameras, we must go back.
    Well worth the money.

We are on the Isle Of White at the moment,and suffering with the heat like the rest of the country.
    Heard on the radio this morning that the British Isles,or parts of it are hotter than Spain...

Kandyfloss

8. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hot it is and going to get hotter. This is when I thank goodness, that on my return from a Florida I invested in ceiling fans in all the main rooms. The difference is wonderful.

I too loved the wooded side of Heligan - though also enjoyed the northern garden. Tis a lovely garden and I shall return. I always go early to these kind of things - I prefer guiet and uncrowded - one of the reasons I have never been to Chelsea.

9. GREENWIZARD

GREENWIZARD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0