The magpies think it's spring!

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by ClaraLou, Jan 13, 2011.

1. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    I've just seen a magpie flying off with a whacking great twig in its mouth. Presumably it thinks that spring has sprung. I can't think of any other reason for its behaviour - unless it's taken to bullying other birds by hitting them with sticks.

2. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Clara, the magpies round here seem to want to fly off with any shiny or big object. I think they are collecting stuff to sell at a car boot sale !!
    My friend lost 4 screwdrivers whilst fixing the electrics on her motor bike and she only noticed that the magpies were making off with them when she saw one sat on the roof opposite her house with one of the little screwdrivers in it's beak.

3. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    :heehee: That's a lovely story, Shobhna. Happy New Year, by the way.

4. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    I to have a tale to tell about a thieving magpie.
    Outside with my toolbox open beside me when this thieving magpie touchdowned on my box selected a small file with a wooden handle and flew off with it, never to be seen again.
    I still miss that file to this day.

5. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yes, the Magpies will be collecting sticks, Claralou, as are the crows. That whole family likes to get started early.
    They steal sticks from each others nests.
    The Jackdaws here come on little raiding parties just to annoy the crows over in crow wood.
    I don't think they actually do anything except swoop about, shouting, like a bunch of hooligans,
    Last year the Jackdaws ripped strips off my fleece and stuffed them down my neighbours chimney.
    It was quite funny to watch but my neighbour wasn't amused - she had the bill for getting the chimney cleaned out .

6. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Clara its funny you should say that, I mentioned to mr 02 that the magpies were building there nests

already only last week and normally (well round here anyway) they dont normally start untill March.

Im not keen on magpies as they tend to scare allthe smaller birds away and try and take over. last year in

next doors tree a breeding pair had a brood of about 6 or 7!!! They were a bunch of bullys but thats nature for you, it isnt always ideal

7. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    We had a magpie many years back, that would come and take any silver coin from your hand and fly away into the distance. We used to try and trick it with a penny wrapped in silver paper but he would always tear it off and disgard the coin ..Never did find where he took all the coins ..

Dave .

8. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Thanks for all your magpie stories. I know they are bullies but there is something fascinating about them - they're so bright and resourceful, like all the crow family. I hadn't realised they started nest building so early, Alice. It seems a little foolhardy to me - we could easily have another dose of snow. But maybe they've figured out how to rig up central heating as well.:heehee:

9. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,650
    Good evening everyone. :) Jays are responsible for taking as many eggs and nestlings as the Magpies, but do so less conspicuously and without blame(poor Magpies):)

10. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    We were drilling and pinning hamstone 100 foot up on a local church. Normally we'd resin glue in the stainless steel pins to hold the laminating faces back, but it was friday afternoon & we'd just cut the pins & left them in the holes, intending to resin them in monday morning.

Come monday, nearly all pins were missing. Jackdaws.

11. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Just a thought ... why do magpies and jackdaws like shiny, silvery things so much? I mean, do the males with the most bling get the best birds, so as to speak? Thank goodness they haven't discovered Burberry.:heehee:

12. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,650
    Hi ClaraLou Magpies collect shiny objects for display in an attempt to attract a Mate.The bird displaying the most objects of highest quality will get the best mate.Maybe someone should tell the MEPs who recently called for a bounty of one euro to be placed on the head of all magpies, along with crows. The magpie is the national bird of Korea, where it's seen as a bird of great good fortune, of sturdy spirit and a provider of prosperity and development.:)

13. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Thank you, Woo. So it seems the answer is yes ... bling-bling = better magpie girlfriends. They're very beautiful birds, don't you think? Can't say much for their singing voices, though. :heehee:

14. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,650
    Hi ClaraLou Yes they are fantastic and beautiful bird and you can teach them to talk just like a parrot.:)

15. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yes, you've got it Clara Lou. The "birds" do like bling and the most exotic males are the most attractive to the females.
    In research it has been shown that puting coloured ring clips on cocks legs (any species) makes them more attractive to females in the mating game.

And, it's not just the crow family who rob into other birds nests. You should see what woodpeckers do - all the same stuff.