The Mystery of the Snapped Rosebuds

Discussion in 'Roses' started by ManekiNekoUK, Jun 4, 2023.

1. ManekiNekoUK

ManekiNekoUK Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Hello and happy Sunday to you all!

On the 27th May I discovered that over 15 buds had broken off on my Wildeve rose. The buds have not been eaten, they just develop these little dark horizontal marks on the stem, fold over and then fall off. It must have happened within one or two days. I discovered one more bud with black marks yesterday, 3rd June.
    Other than that, Wildeve looks healthy and happy.

Has anyone ever seen this before? And and does it have anything to do with the tips of very young rose shoots turning brown or looking nibbled off (last 2 photos)?
    I would be grateful for any insight :please:

C766D01B-473D-4B41-9E14-C6AC66539252.jpeg B1499250-8E6C-44F4-9D59-EB96845C3D6F.jpeg 17E0DD9C-55F4-41F9-B6A2-5629CCE3439F.jpeg 97BED952-0F7D-4287-96D6-FFC1A74A95EA.jpeg 525D51B7-AF8A-4830-8B66-27629CE152A0.jpeg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
    That's weird.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +91,668
      Good evening @ManekiNekoUK my friend there some roses will abort buds under some conditions--that's about all that is known about it. There is an abscission (cut-off) layer in the flower neck that the rose may activate for some reason. The neck turns pink or yellow/brown and the bud drops. I do know that 'The Fairy' does this. I have seen it on several varieties including ramblers and the floribunda 'Octavia Hill.' over the years but it is not an exact science and the jury is out ,but if I can find out any thing more I shall let you know:smile:

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • ManekiNekoUK

ManekiNekoUK Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +11
        Hello, thank you for your reply @wiseowl.

Wow, that is so interesting, abscission! And you are right, the stems are red or yellow, I hadn’t realised that.

My thoughts are that possibly Wildeve didn’t have enough nutrients or energy to support all her buds. She had over 30 and now she has about 20. She is in a container and she probably does not have access to enough nutrients to support all those buds.
        Some of my other older roses - by that I mean roses that have been in containers for around three years - are currently experiencing yellowing of the leaves and I have been given some very helpful advice that this is caused most likely by nutrient deficiency. What caused e.g. my Gertrude Jekyll climber to have yellowish leaves might have caused Wildeve to drop a third of her buds.
        I have fed all my roses recently with a liquid feed high in nitrogen which will hopefully make them feel happier.

Have a nice evening

• Friendly Friendly x 1