The Science Behind Gardening.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by roders, Nov 26, 2010.

1. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,097
  2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I only watched the first half of it, but it was very interesting. I knew you needed to dry seeds, but hadn't realisted that you could use silica gel - I thought that might have over dried them. So it was interesting to hear the statistic that every 1% reduction in seed moisture level will double the storage life, and that every 5C reduction in storage temperature will also double the expected seed life.

I had heard that when seeds are stored properly in freezers, their life expectancy can be measures in tens and often hundreds of years.

3. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,
    We use silica gel in work, to keep samples which we are testing for moisture content, from re absorbing moisture.

The little sachels that are found in shoe boxes etc are silica gel, and only a small amount is required to keep seeds dry, these are fine.

But as they may have already absorbed moisture from where ever, they should be dried out in an oven as a matter of course,before using on precious seeds!

Cheers!

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Thanks Makka-Bakka.

I used to use it in a laboratory - but I haven't seen any for years. Actually the dried rice was a good idea - its something everyone has in their house.

5. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Peter!

Actually we have one advantage, ours is coloured blue, when it starts to have too much moisture it turns a lilacy pink, so time for drying out!

Cheers!:gnthb: