The start of converting my front yard

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by PennineAcute, Jul 26, 2011.

1. PennineAcute

PennineAcute Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping that the council would allow me to lift the flags and lay turf etc but I got refused so I am having to create a container garden.

Started it this year and this is my progress so far.

I am looking to move the trough on the front railing onto my side railing over the autumn and take out the fuchsias from the small bag containers and pot them separately. The two small bag containers can move up near the greenhouse.

Got my little greenhouse a bit earlier a few weeks ago as it was reduced to £30 at B&M.

Just had my bathroom refitted, so thought I would make some good use of the old toilet

Attached Files:

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi Pennine, what a lovely little space to have, even if you do have to have containers & most importantly a fence all the way round.. I love the toilet idea.. Your could have a small "bog garden" in it..!!! :heehee: I know not original but I am sure it will raise a few smiles.. I think I would keep my eye open for unusual containers to put your plants in as it will add to the interest.. I think I would also keep a look out for nice looking statues or architectural bits & bobs that would add height & interest if you wanted plants to climb up.... I do of course mean nice things not junk.. :heehee:
    It might be nice to get a nice big planter at the front & train a climber to rassle through your railings or as a pretty border sitting all along the tops of the railings .. :thumbsup: Keep us up to date with your progress ..

3. PennineAcute

Ratings:
    +0
    I like the idea of a climber for the railings. What would you recommend? Nothing too difficult mind you as I am learning as I go along.

4. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    Is this your house of a business area? I also like the toilet. I have always wanted to plant a rose in one.... scented of course LOL! I suppose you will have to watch out for people nicking and wrecking stuff as well, however the fence will help. How much sun does it get during the day? Well done for having a go! It might inspire others too also!!!

5. PennineAcute

Ratings:
    +0
    No it is a lovely housing estate but does not deserve the reputation it has. Not as bad as it is made out to be. Sun normally starts hitting the yard not long after midday and gets it for the whole afternoon. I also have a little Jack Russell who keeps out unwelcome visitors. I also have a strawberry bench outside my front door, just behind where the photo was taken. Sit on there and while the afternoons away. I got 6 strawberries from it. Not much I know but they do taste totally different to the shop bought ones.

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Well I think I would go for something simple like a couple of Clematis, honeysuckle or a wysteria.. Just make sure your planter is big & you feed & water regularly.. :thumbsup:

7. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    You have a excellent blank slate to work with there. The possibilities are endless really. If it were me, I would look at making several separate sections or kind of rooms. You could have a seating area kind of screened off and a bit more private, maybe a section to grow a few edible and herbs. You can grow just about anything in a pot and a nice thing about that is it is easy to move things around. Have a look at my album, back garden, I have somewhere in the region of 100 pots with everything from trees to roses, grasses, even water gardens including a lovely water lily. Looking forward to seeing your ideas!!