The start of my major gardening project

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by roadkill, May 30, 2010.

1. roadkill

roadkill Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Here are the pictures as promised of my depressing garden . It reminds me of a blank canvas ready to be painted on :gnthb:

Some ideas i have so far

is to build a pergola that will cover the seating area next to the house and block it in with a trellis that will let a climbing plant climb up and onto the roof section.

May a pond in the centre of the garden thinking about an above ground pond with some kind of water feature ( water fall )

then i would also like to trellis both sides of the fence and in front of the shed to bring some privacy into the garden. and some nice flower borders at the bottom of the trellis's...

The only problem i have is the room available as its quite a small garden.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: Well I like the sound of your ideas roadkill.. I have to agree what you have now is a tad depressing... My friend has a raised pond & I love to sit on the side wall where they have a sort of seat set into the wall & watch the wild life.. As for your pergola area that sounds great, I wouls have an evergreen climber as well as whatever else you want.. That way it won't be totally bear in winter.. Pick hardy plants to climb up over the top of it though.. I would also want something that wa strongly scented & of course some that flower through the summer.. Lots to choose from so do have a good look around & think about it before you buy.. :thumb: Good Luck with it & look forward to photo updates on it all beause it looks very plain & drab now you can make a luscious looking & smelling private area to enjoy your time in.. You could create a couple of "rooms" there at least in your little garden... :wink:

3. roadkill

roadkill Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your comments’, I do like the idea of having a few different sections.
    I am very new to gardening (flowers that is as at the minute I have only ever grown fruit and veg) and wouldn't have any clues on what climbers and plants I would need to flower and smell nice through the different seasons. So any tips and information I can have from this site will be great.

I am just playing with the Google sketch program to try and put a design together, can you recommend any good books to read to help me on my way?
    Cheers roadkill

4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    A word on above ground ponds. It depends on how you build and edge them, as there's otherwise a possibility of them looking like "a tank in the yard."

This was my first effort thirty years ago. A brick quadrant to house a preformed plastic pool liner. I edged the pond with crazy terrazzo, (like the patio) so it was possible to sit anywhere on the curved bit.
    I built a waterfall on the side. But I was never happy with it as despite my best efforts it never looked "right." (in fact I thought it looked a bit naff). So a few years later I ripped the lot out (and the terrazzo patio), changed the latter to crazy York stone and put in a pond in that area of grass beyond the patio.

[​IMG]

However I think there's more things you can do with an above ground pond these days. There wasn't so much stuff available in the late seventies, so I'm sure you'll come up with some better ideas.

5. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I think you have some fab ideas and I look forward to seeing some progress photos :)

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :wink: Well Doghouse, we all had to start somewhere.. :) Today there are many ready made above ground ponds that you can buy roadkill, but I think the FBAS have a brilliant starter one look here.. http://www.fbas.co.uk/Spring.html

There are plenty of others though or you can build your own custom one.. Have a look at a few of these & design your own perhaps..
    http://www.gardenoasis.co.uk/garden-ponds-water-features-ponds-c-77_78.html?kw=above%20ground%20ponds&fl=26273&gclid=CNvn64Wx-qECFY-X2AodHz5ODg

This wood blocx looks interesting.. http://www.woodblocx.co.uk/what_can_i_make.htm

http://www.oak-barrel.com/garden_pond/

So I think lots of food for thought there... Of course there is the ultimate gimmick one http://www.gardenitems.co.uk/ponds_pondables.php

As for your climbers there are so many clematis, roses, honeysuckles, Wysteria, Jasmin for colour & scents to choose from.. There is a superb garden planner & month by month plant planner planner HERE
    Make a list of some you like & see if they will go with your plan you are making in google.. Let us know how you get on..
    Otherwise a trip to the library... :old::D

7. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Keep the pics coming so we can see how you progress.

Good luck.

8. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Some really interesting ideas there! :) Your plan to get some height in there would make such a difference as would trailing some climbers along the fencing!

Have a look at a few of Matt James' creations on Channel 4 OD- The City Gardener

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-city-gardener/4od

He has a great way with space and layouts. Exciting times for you!