The summer bedding plant that lasts all year around

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by stephenprudence, Mar 4, 2012.

1. stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
    Ratings:
    +2,369
    I'm not talking about zonal Pelargoniums (although they often can in normal-mild winters). I'm talking about Calibrachoa (the million bells mini petunia ones). They have walked through this winter outside with no protection and no issues whatsoever, and I'm sure, in 2-3 months will be in full flower again! Unusual to see a summer annual last year round. Has anyone else had this with Calibrachoas?

2. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    A lot of our geraniums and petunias were still in flower until a few weeks ago when a couple of nights of - 10 degrees scuppered their efforts, I guess they might recover if the roots are still alive but I'm not holding my breath. Interestingly the scabious which was supposed to be an annual variety is regrowing now and looks to be set for another season :) Things that were supposed to be hardy, aliums in particular, had put on so much growth that the sharp drop in temperature cut them back severely, am hoping they pull through because they are not the cheapest of bulbs :/

Mrs chopper

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,087
      I've know fibrous rooted begonias to come back from the ground after being frosted.
      Never allowed anything petunia like to overwinter.
      They usually look pretty awful by Autumn with me.