The wasteland! Where do we begin?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by linzibean, Jan 11, 2008.

1. linzibean

linzibean Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, we finally moved to a house with a garden - the word "garden" is a bit of a stretch, however!! The ground seems to be mostly shale and old foundations (there used to be a house where the garden is now). We would like to spend the next 2 or 3 months making this into a workable vegetable garden, hopefully with raised beds to combat the terrible soil. Does anyone have any tips for where on earth we begin?

Pictures (taken in September):
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/lindsayjohnson/RIMG0126.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/lindsayjohnson/RIMG0106.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/lindsayjohnson/RIMG0123.jpg

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi linzibean and welcome to GC. Thank goodness you had the common to post some pics. I think you realise you have a MAJOR job there, I must admit that my first reaction was to hire a rotovator (I hate them) and turn the lot over but I see you want raised beds which a lot of people think are the easy way out.

I would certainly start on paper in this case by drawing a plan of where you are going. Putting on paper where the beds are going and wouldn't worry too much about what is going into the beds yet.

I suggest you wait for one of our pro gardeners to suggest. I debate like mad with even the pros on individual plants (and in some cases on politics, which I'm better on), but this is one large project. So if you hang around for a reply I am sure such people as (and these are only examples) - Terrier, Pro Gard, daitheplant will come in. (Hey they are all Welsh.)

That is not to say that the odd talented amateur might want to say something. In fact, as a slightly untalented amateur I reserve the right to come back in. But this is one big project so at this point - Good Luck.

3. linzibean

linzibean Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the advice. Yep, this is going to be one major job! This is why we're not looking to create a masterpiece with lots of gorgeous flowerbeds, but have a simple plot with some raised beds we can rotate vegetable crops in, a grassed patch for our chickens, and probably lots and lots of containers for more ornamental plants like lavenders and other herbs.

I've drawn a plan of what I'd like to do. I know raised beds won't be the easy way out in this case, as because the garden slopes we will have to level it off into some terraces first, then build the beds, then aquire some decent topsoil etc to fill the beds. I'm not working at the moment however, so I have plenty of time to work in the garden and show up the hubby ;)

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Firstly i would cut down the undergrowth with a brushcutter so you can see the extent of the area. I rekon your best option will be to make raised beds using railway sleapers with bought in top soil.

Level the bed area then stack your sleapers, stagger the sleaper joints. I tend to go for overkill and if over two sleapers tall,hammer in rebar and fence staple this to the back (inside face of the sleapers).

Rail sleapers are around �£10-�£15 ea and topsoil around �£30 a bulk bag (1 ton).

If your acess and buget allow a mini digger will be very usefull if your reasnbly good with one as a 3.5 ton machine will pick up and move the bulk bags thus saving shoveling also with a couple of straps you can move the sleapers about aswell.

If there are any real nasty weeds eg bindweed on the site then id be looking to leave things untill they emerge (mid march) then a couple of sprays of roundup.

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I agree with Progard with one addon, if you use treated sleepers line them with heavy duty polythene to stop whatever they were treated with leaching into the bed.

6. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'd get the chickens in now they'll demolish all the greenery in no time :D Seriously if you want to keep chickens on grass you will need a portable coop and run because they can clear a spot in a week. ( maybe a slight exaggeration but it doesn't take long)

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hire a small digger or if anyone is working in the area with a jcb(slip them a few quid)sc rape off the top see how bad the subsoil is,if it's as bad as you think dig it out a couple of feet and import some top soil,Iwouldn't faff around with raised beds unless you need to have them.

8. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Linzibean maybe you could also go the organic way and get a couple of nanny goats or borrow one from a local farm/small holding not only are they great for clearing a messy garden (as they will eat almost anything) you get fresh milk into the bargain as well...you can even eat them if you so choose as they taste just like lamb! :eek:
    Helen.xxx.

9. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Whilst it is no solution, my first reaction would be to find out exactly what you have got. I would dig some holes or trenches to see what there is. It may not be as bad as you think. If you find an area of solid concrete, even raised beds may not be the solution, but it may be the place for a patio. If there was a house there before, it would probably have had a garden. Find that, and you may find some good soil.

10. linzibean

linzibean Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice. We'd love to get a couple of goats in to do the job for us! There are lots of sheep in surrounding fields, maybe they could "escape" and do some clearing for us!

We'll definately take the advice of digging a couple of holes to see what we've got - the problem is I think what used to be the "garden" is the other section of land we have with the house - and it's even more of ajungle!! We're not brave enough to even look at clearing that...

11. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Regards mini diggers, There are quite a few small companies/ one man bands that offer a driver as part of the hire cost.

A 1.5 ton digger with opertaor is often around �£100- �£120 total for 8 hours, normal machine only hire works out at around �£65-75 inc fuel.

youll find that a good operater will be able to do double what you can do in a day so very definately worthihle.

I dont think live stock is a practical solution especially as there maybee broken glass etc below the vegation.

12. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Blimey, come on, people used to have veg gardens before the dawn of the mini digger Pro.
    I think if you really like gardening its something that you do a bit at a time.
    As long as you are physically fit that is.
    I would really like the chance to get to grips with a long term project like that, of course, I wouldn't have time to go to work as well. :D

It looks, as far as I can see, a great location linzibean, enjoy it.

13. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    [QB] Blimey, come on, people used to have veg gardens before the dawn of the mini digger Pro.

Thats true Pete, but i bet if they'd had the choice, they would of chose the mini digger :D

14. linzibean

linzibean Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid our budget really won't stretch to a mini digger (plus as a miserable archaeologist who hates thir increasing use on digs, I am against thm on principle ;) ).

So it will have to be all hand work. It might take a long time, but it will be worth it [​IMG] It is a great location, we're 7 miles or so out of the nearest town, have neighbours only quite far down a single track road, and lots of lovely views! Bleedin cold with only a coal fire though!

15. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ah a coal fire those were the days warming my bum or toes up was a trick of mine and nothing like the gas ones and I do so miss the 'good ole days' the mess cleaning the fire out, the soot, running to the coal bunker when it's raining, the water going cold while you are running a bath and freezing cold first thing in the morning on a very cold winter's day......maybe I don't miss it that much after all! :D
    Helen.xxx.