The worst thing about gardening for me...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sheepy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. sheepy

sheepy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I often don't know the names of the plants, and sometimes I feel a bit stupid about it! Does anyone else have this?

2. Man Of Leisure MOL

Man Of Leisure MOL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Same problem here, but why feel stupid?

More you garden , the more you learn

3. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    That is why I'm here. Lots of peeps with lots of knowledge and all willing to help.

4. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Sheepy.

I haven't a clue what any of the plants in my garden are called and I don't think I could ever remember. My knowledge of them is limited to what they looked like the year before so I have a reasonable idea about how quickly they've grown, if they're new why I put them where I did (eg; they like shade or match other plants in the same area), and what they look like if they flower. (eg; the ones in the corner have pretty pink flowers come July)

What I do have is a big envelope with all the tags thingies that came with them.

My advice would be to enjoy them for what they are, not what they're called.

Ant.

5. sheepy

sheepy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i thought it was just me!

i'll post some pics of my garden later tonight, if anyone recognises anything - shout up!

6. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sheepy I nearly posted a pic of a blade of grass to be identified. Thankfully I was stopped before I embarrassed myself.... ;)

7. Labrador

Labrador Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry, I have the same problem. I have a particular small shrub I have been trying to put a name to for over two years. It's not in flower yet, but when it is I will post some pics and hope someone will identify it. You never know Sheepy you might recognise it!:)

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Same here, even when I try to progam the name into my brain the second i come across it again i have forgotton.

Not knowing is better than being told hundreds of times and still not knowing!

9. PRodgers

PRodgers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, am terrible with plant names myself, especially the latin ones- those have usually gone by the time i've finished reading the sentence! :D

10. Penstemon

Penstemon Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    There are some plant names I can never get into my head no matter how many times I am told. It's the variety names I don't know, so I give them names of my own, usually connected to where they were from. Consequently, I have dahlias called Country Market,(my favourite), other flowers called Joyce, Bob, Cecily, and Gorgeous and that does make me look stupid at times.

11. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Excellent! I am not alone there then. Almost all my plants are called by what they look like or where they come from, I have a willow tree that my daughter calls "the faerie tree", so off I am calling it by that to everyone. I have a "mushroom's" fern that is so called because mushrooms grow under. I call peonies marshmallows after the sweet-thats what they look like-the list could go on.

12. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I put phrases in my mind to remember plant names as in word association.

Like..Laburnum....I think of Labradors on fire. Forget-me -nots. I just look at them and think 'Ive forgotten':rolleyes:

13. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's even worse when you have had a plant for yonks, and you know the name off by heart,then someone asks you, what plant is that, and you cannot remember!

I think it is what is called, "brain dead."

Cherrio !!!!

14. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    I used to work with a woman who called all plants by their Latin name but in a very bad accent!!! It was so funny cause no one knew what plant she was talking about.

Some I remember, some I don't but I think the more you garden and gain knowledge and experience more names will stick.

LOL tweaky, I am impressed how you remember them...

15. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Like you Ivory, I have no problem with Latin names but I can sometimes mix them up with Tropical fish and reptiles names as they can be similar and confusing.
    I can undrestsand folk not being comfortable with Latin but you can usually get by with common names.:)
    The RHS Encyclopaedia is great (I have the new edition) but you need a crane to lift it.:D