Then And Now

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Doghouse Riley, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Trawling through the internet I found some more photos of my home town which is the best part of 200 miles away. I've been swopping e-mails with a couple of friends of our teenage years, who also moved away.

Change isn't always for the good.

This was a local pub we frequented in our teens in the late fifties/early sixties. It was a really nice old road house with a ballroom, all wood paneling with a sprung dance floor. Each week the different Traditional Jazz Bands would appear here. (contrast the old WW2 old air raid siren, the Police Tardis, with the new mini in the car park).

11de13eaea9bb4ad38493e15bbfe7c43a6a1f9ce922525f62bb6459f5d282147.jpg

Then I moved away and the lot was pulled down for redevelopment.

They ended up with this. Below a huge office block. I guess this was the opening, mid sixties I guess.

2.jpg

Tucked round the left-hand side of this, which was a big Caters supermarket on the completion of the development.

morden-crown-house-c1960_m359040.jpg

Which a decade or more later, closed and then was split up into different units had other uses before being in the last decade left mostly empty, as it is today.

3.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Never been to Manchester it self @Doghouse Riley...only the airport years back going to Ibiza and my home town haven't lived there for years but not lost the deep accent :whistle:

Black country myself :yes:...enoch and ayli :snorky:

I go to type how I speak sometimes but have to hold it back :heehee:

• Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,411

Having now lived in South Manchester for over forty years, we still say about Manchester what we did when we first came here.

"It'll be OK when it's finished."

When my future wife and I in our late teens early twenties frequently went to Ronnie Scotts, whose band had played quite often in Manchester, occasionally announced a "competition," during the evening. I guess more for new visitors, because we knew what was coming.

"First prize, a week in Manchester."

"Second prize, two weeks!"

I know Bolton, Oldham, Rochdale and Ashton Under Lyme.

• Like Like x 1
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        I'm sure Ronnie Scotts wasn't long mentioned on the tele about Manchester :scratch:

It's funny how we often reflect back :)