There's bargains galore about

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fidgetsmum, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Preaching to the converted here I suspect, but right now garden centres are full of bargains.

This is the first year, since we moved into our present house, that I've actually had the opportunity to look for something permanent for the garden and I'm amazed at the number of bargains I've been able to pick up, particularly in the hardy perennial/cottage garden plants sections.

Today I've bought - 3 dwarf delphinium; 3 hemerocallis; 3 verbena; 4 gaura; 4 salvia microphylla (all of which were originally £4, £5 or £6) reduced to £1.45 each and 2 crocosmia down to £2.99 from £8.99. What surprised me most is that none of these are sad little specimens, they're all healthy plants in 6" - 8" pots, and so far as I can see their only 'problem' is that one or two are a bit pot bound, but nothing a bit of TLC won't soon cure.

Of course, these savings only encouraged me to make a slight detour on the way home, via another garden centre, where I knew they were having a 'One Day Special' and selling 30 winter pansy plants for £15 ... and the 3" pots they're in, will come in handy too! :yho:

2. floris

floris Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    You haven't told us where these bargains are to be had - B&Q, big nurseries,which town. If in London I'll hotfoot it there tomorrow.

3. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Polhill Garden Centre, Badgers Mount. As for the pansies - I'm not sure what it's called, we always just refer to it as 'that nursery' near Harvel.

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Yep, now is a great time for GC sales - reducing tatty looking perennials. Last autumn I got a Nepata reduced to £3.00 because it looked a bit sad for itself. It bloomed for weeks earlier this year. So many people look at these "dying" plants and think just that, they're dead! More fool them if they think that way, all the more bargains for us in the know:wink:

5. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Yep Fidgetsmum, I've found loads of such bargains over the years. I think the reason is that these big garden centres have no facilities for repotting stuff....they just sell it unlike nurseries of the past who would divide, repot and grow on until next year. Not quite B&Qs style. They just want to get rid of stuff once it's flowered and the season is coming to an end so they can re stock with a whole load of new nitrogen enriched seasonal stuff to tempt people who want an instant garden.