They don't make things like they used to

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Jun 17, 2009.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Is it just my bad luck or is everything you buy rubbish these days?

I could make a huge list of stuff I've bought from new that has packed in prematurely. The latest addition to that list would be my 5 month old son's pushchair which has a metal bar that holds his seat in place that has literally sheered in two. It wasn't cheap neither. It's going back to the shop and I'm going to demand a full refund but that's beside the point, everything seems to be of such poor build quality these days, or is it just me?

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    It's cheaper to replace than repair, but that's the wonderful capitalist society we live in now. "Status anxiety" means we will always want the next model, the best product...but at the cheapest cost.

I know the TV my parents had when I was growing up lasted them nearly 20 years. Hard to imagine these days.

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    It's called 'built in obsolescence'. IOW, there are designed to be binned after a certain amount of time!

That's why most of our land-fill sites are now full up!

4. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    For comments, but safety should come into it somewhere. I had a car stereo once that after less than 1 month, suddenly turned itself to full blast on its own, overheated, and nearly torched my car while I was driving along. And as for my son's 'travel system' (the posh term for pushchair and car seat), I had to replace the car seat after 3 months because it just wasn't safe, the seatbelt slid off it one time. The pushchair physically snapping, that could have been dangerous if the wife hadn't noticed that the seat wasn't straight when she'd put it up to go out yesterday, she might have put my son in it and he could have been tipped out of it, catching himself on the jagged edge of the broken bar as he fell.

5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    So many examples!
    Anyone ever seen one of the old style blue black and decker drills with the metal front casing, my old mans one is 38 years old and has had serious abuse... still going strong. Any how on deciding it was getting old he bought a new one. The motor burned out after drilling about 10 holes, hes gone back to the old faithfull!

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    There is a little known EU ruling, that every electrical/mechanical thing you buy MUST be repaired or replaced, by the shop, if it fails within the first 2 years of purchase. In Wales, this time limit is 6 years, I believe in England it`s 4 years. Anyone with a problem should check the Sale of Goods act.:gnthb:

7. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    That's a useful bit of info David.
    I just might use it soon - will let you know how I get on:thmb:

8. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    purchased a new cd/radio system,for the garden hut,it lasted just over a year.it was going to cost me as much to repair as to purchase a new one. passing the local charity i noticed a cd/radio system in the window,entered the shop, asked the price ,£4.
    purchased the system(that was 4 years ago!!!!. )its still going strong!. (a bargain)

9. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    You're right Clueless. Things just don't last the way they used to. That's because they are actually built to last no more than 5 years. But that doesn't go for light bulbs. They don't last 5 days.

10. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    That's interesting Dai, but I wasn't aware the sale of goods act set time limits other than some vague wording like "for a reasonable period" or something. Is the EU bit an add-on to the old English/Welsh Sale of Goods act 1990? I certainly be interested to read up on that a bit.

11. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    The law now is, the SHOP, is rsponsible and MUST repair or replace the item. The EU ruling is within 2 years. In Wales it is 6 years. in England, I think, it is 4 years. You need to check.

12. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    You can also choose a refund if you wish. If the goods aren't fit for purpose, of serviceable quality, or as described, then the shop (the seller) is in breach of the contract of sale. The contract is therefore void, so you can step out of it if you wish, meaning that they have to take the goods back and give you back the price you paid for it, even if the price changed since you bought it. I didn't know that there had been a fixed timescale set on it though.

13. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Having worked in retail many moons ago ..... always seemed a bit unfair the retalier is responsible for repair/replacing when all they have done is brought it from the manufacturers in good faith (as you brought it from them in good faith).

Manufacturers are using cheap parts/labour to make items cheap but then it becomes the responsibility of the retailer when things go wrong.

Hence why the company I work for gave up retail. The manufacturers give no help whatsoever to small independant companies which is why there are not so many of them about these days. The big sheds however just keep reffering you back to the manufactureres who then try telling you its not their responsibility ...... after going round in circles, most people give up which is how they get round the laws.

I think the worst thing that even happened with us, is that when we purchased a new widescreen TV and DVD player (when they had first come out) we took out an extended warranty with Domestic & General for five years ........ a year or so later the DVD player packed up and they came and took it away to be repaired.

Weeks and weeks later they wrote to us to say it was no longer ecenomical to repair it, but for a one off payment of £99 they would replace it for us ........ DVD players by then had come down in price dramatically and we could purchase a new one from Argos for £40!!

Despite countless letters and phone calls - we never did get a replacement or our old one back! But when you both work full time and have 4 kids .... it just becomes easier to go out and pay then £40 to solve to problem. This is what big sheds like Currys rely on .... in my opinion anyway :)

The widescreen TV packed up a few months later .... needless to say we never even bothered calling them after all the stress we had been through already !!

14. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Sam, yes it is the shops responsibility to sort it out, as the contract of sale is between the buyer and the shop that sold it. There is another contract of sale between the shop and their supplier, and the shop has just as much right to demand a refund for faulty goods that they've bought as the end buyer does.

Like you say, many shops refer you straight to the manufacturer now. This isn't getting round the law, it is completely circumventing the law. When my brand new cars stereo overheated and nearly torched the car, I contacted the company that sold me it. They tried to fob me off to the manufacturer but unlucky for them I was aware of the sale of goods act and the small claims procedure. I made this clear to them and gave them another chance to cooperate. After several attempts to fob me off I gave them a date by which I would submit a claim with the small claims court if the issue wasn't resolved, and told them that I would also claim court fees and any other costs that arise as a result of the situation. Eventually they cooperated. Had they cooperated in the first place, I would have put it down to one bad product and continued using them for future purchases, but because they messed me about so much I have never used them again.

15. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Disclaimer: I am not a legal professional so you should always contact your local authority Trading Standards Authority or your local CAB for clarification :)

Having said that, I stand up for my rights (and for some other people) and have used the Small Claims Court many times when the supplier, in my opinion, is being awkward.

The interpretation of the consumer law is fraught with 'ifs and but' but a general outline is that if the goods are 'faulty' you refer back to the supplier/retailer.

Dai is right that the Sale of Goods Act has changed. It has been amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002. Dai, this covers consumers in England for 6 years as well.

Everything is not neccesarily straight forward as the law mentions 'reasonable time' but doesn't define it. This period varies a lot depending on the type of goods.

You cannot claim if it is fair wear and tear or if you have abused the goods - or if you decide you don't like them.

Otherwise it is generally correct that within the first 6 months it is the responsibility of the supplier to prove that the goods were not faulty. After 6 months it is generally your responsibility to show that they were faulty. 'Faulty' can be that they did not comply with the specific or implied contract for sale.

This may sound very complicated but normally if the goods don't do what is normally expected of them then the retailer should be only to happy to replace, refund or repair. I usually do not like a repair but it depends on the goods and I try to insist on replacement or refund. If you feel that they are not dealing with it properly (you need to give them a reasonable amount of time but this also varies - if your freezer has packed up then you want it sorted quickly but if a clock has stopped working it isn't a disaster) then after approaching the above agency you should think about the Small Claims Court.

All your communications with the supplier should be written down. When you phoned them (or went into the shop), who you spoke to (important), what was said etc. The court love all this type of evidence.

Clueless, in your case it all seems very cut and dried. They should have replaced the item or given you back your money. A repair would only be reasonable, in my opinion, if they could replace the broken part within a day or so as you can't be without a pushchair. You can still have a go at them and say you will take it to the Small Claims Court. You are entitled to say that you are going to give them a week to remedy the matter or you will issue a summons through the court - put it in writing.

Good luck :gnthb: