They're growing too fast!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by daisybelle, Apr 12, 2007.

1. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    On saturday (7th april) I planted nemesia, morning glory and sweet peas in a heated propagator.
    The packets all said 10-21 days germination, and plant out late may.
    So I thought they'd germinate by end of april, give them 3 weeks inside, then plant out.
    But, the MG germinated on wed, the nemesia last night and now the sweet peas are coming up!
    What should I do? Turn the propagator off? I've taken the lid off the MG as per the packet.
    I'm planning on putting the MG in a pot anyway, so could I plant up in that and just keep it inside until risk of frost has passed?
    When is it safe to plant out non hardy stuff?

[ 12. April 2007, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: daisybelle ]

2. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi judging by the weather just lately, soon. My mina lobata are 4" tall already and I shall put some of them out soon, don't think there will be a hard frost. Had to uncover my bananas outside last week cos they are really growing, but had to do the same last April even though it was a bad winter last year! Been very warm lately and even warmer in the greenhouse. [​IMG] I don't even use a heated propagater, just seed trays in the warmth!!

3. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Yes, everything's coming on in leaps and bounds. I'm slowly moving stuff out of the greenhouse to harden off (in shed, garage or coldframe where it's cooler) ready for planting in the borders.

4. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    I think they really need to go out now. Would you agree?
    [​IMG]
    I don't have anywhere like a shed/greenhouse. They're either inside, or outside. What would be the best thing to do?

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Pinch out the Morning glories which have gottwo lots of real leaves and plant them in their pot. You can always cover them with fleece if there's a sudden frost. They don't need the propagator now, just lots of light. I really think they'd be better outside as the ones at the front are getting very leggy. Put them somewhere that the slugs can't get too, maybe put the propagator cover on but no heat. [​IMG]