1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Thick algae on paving slabs!!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Val.., Oct 20, 2012.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    My paved area is turning green and some of it is quite thick. looks horrid :gaah: I was wondering if shingle placed on top would cure the problem? With 3 dogs I can't chance using chemicals any ideas?? :scratch:

Val

2. Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
    Ratings:
    +568
    Some good cheap pressure washers around. Good fun as well.

Cheers, Tony.

3. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,514
    I had a similar problem when I moved in here - pressure washing would remove most of it, but it would come back quite quickly afterwards, so I sought advice from a friend who used to be a stonemason and he advised pouring neat thick bleach on, smearing it around with a deck scrubber, leaving it to sit for 30-60 mins, scrub again and then thoroughly rinse off with the hose.

It worked a treat, and has remained fairly clean ever since (the odd flick over with a pressure washer or hose has been sufficient to keep it in fine nick);

You would need to keep your dogs in while you did the job, but once rinsed it would be perfectly safe (even before the ground dried). Best of it is, bleach is relatively cheap and easy to get hold of

4. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Yes, trouble is I haven't got a hose. Would shingle on top cure it? or would algae grow on that as well?

Val

5. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Well, lets put it this way, Gemini.......the algae would thank you for the shingle.:coffee::snork:

6. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +49,514
    Bleach rinsed off with buckets of water - hard graft depending on the area, but a long-ish term cure?

7. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    A hose would be a lot cheaper investment than shingle Val and algae would still grow on shingle. As said in earlier posts, bleach is the best option.

• Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      I think a strong solution of cheap bleach is the best way to go on this Val.
      PavingExpert explains the method to use , it is about half way down on this page.
      http://www.pavingexpert.com/maintain_03.htm
      You can buy "Patio Cleaner" solutions from all the sheds . To my experience I have found these to be expensive and not very effective.

• merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,087
      Best thing I've used on algae (better than bleach in my experience) is Jeyes Fluid.

I use it as a spot treatment occasionally, but I jetwash the patio twice a year and the algae does take quite a while to grow back.

• Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +865
      I'm assuming you're thinking of using shingle as a sort of 'sandpaper' and covering? Well, it might do the former but will also slide about (probably more so if it's on top of paving), it'll also go everywhere, you'll get it stuck in your shoes, if your dogs are like mine, it'll get - temporarily - stuck in their paws and deposited all over the place, they'll run around, slide on it and send showers of gravel in all directions and won't solve the problem. Bleach is fine if you don't mind using harsh chemicals, but you can't. A pressure washer is fine if you've got one, but you haven't.

I'd spend a bit of time scraping off what you can, either by getting down on your hands and knees or using a 'deck brush' (available from B&Q, Homebase etc.) and lots of clean hot water. Then get yourself something called 'Patio Magic' - again in B&Q, Homebase, Wickes or Amazon - and use that. It's what I use, and although you do have to exclude pets, that's only until it's dry. It doesn't kill the stuff in 24 hours or anything like that, but it certainly works.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Forgot about Jeyes , I do use this in parts on my "Autumn" patio clean.
      Do you find Patio Magic effective Fidgetsmum ? I have not used this type before.
      Wilkos sell PM at £7 for 2.5 litres.
      I have used De-Solv It from Screwfix , and you could see the chemical action when applied. It is £6.39 For 5 litres
      http://www.screwfix.com/p/de-solv-it-path-patio-cleaner-5ltr/12627
      For my normal patio cleaning I just use a cheap detergent in very hot water, scrub with a yard brush and then jet-wash . Its not my favourite outdoors chore.[​IMG]

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,320
      I do bleach as well make up a strong solution in a bucket warm water , then dip and scrub dip and scrub leave for a hour, wash down with the hose , maybe not the best thing to use but its better than falling on your bottom !

Spruce

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,514
      Jeyes has got hellish expensive recently though hasn't it? And I was led to believe that it doesn't break down in the soil, so contaminates the surrounding area for quite a while?

Mind you - you can't beat the smell of a freshly Jeyes' cleaned yard.

• merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,087
      I have been toying with the idea of getting some Wet & Forget which is quite pricey but if it works, it'll be worth it and it's quite gentle.

They sell it in Costco in the US but not sure if they do over here.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,320
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wet & forget&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=12951917700&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=20997245231158260933&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_5a1h7qqdss_e

ps MereWorld your link is the Glasgow based supplier