Things that crawl!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Sara Mary, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Sara Mary

Sara Mary Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody!

I have a wall in my back yard which has wood attached to it for plants to climb as they grow. can anybody tell me what would be a nice plant to get to grow up that isnt ivy or vaginia creeper, as these get a little out of contol sometimes.

Thank you!

Happy gardening

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi, There are so many lovely plants out there,so a little more information would help. Do you want evergreen, perfumed, showy flowers and/or berries, which way does the wall face, what sort of soil, for starters!

[ 17. January 2006, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Liz ]

3. Sara Mary

Sara Mary Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replie liz,

I like evergreens as these will look nice all year round. With perhaps the odd nice perfumed ones in there aswell to add colour and sent in the summer.

i am a complete begininer and have no idea what soil!?

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Why not have two things - say an evergreen and a Clematis. The evergreen will give you the green background and the Clematis can flower through it. There are evergreen Clematis but I have a feeling they are not that hardy.

Or slightly unusual - I have an Abutilon Megapotamicum (�£1.69 from Morrisons). It in leaf now, but I think it can lose its leaves if it gets very cold. It was in flower for 23 weeks from June till early November last year. The flowers do not blow you over like Clematis, but it is still pleasant. It is not that hardy, but I have had it standing free in the garden for three years in North Yorkshire. It would be more protected on a wall.

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    That's a good idea Peters. There is a lovely clematis that is evergreen, perfumed, and hardy- Clematis Armandii. It flowers soon and has lovely white or pink flowers. I think you would need something else with it though for summer colour.How about a rose, so many colours and types that will flower all summer and climb through a clematis-or Akebia quinata, chocolate scented burgundy flowers, semi evergreen. Ceanothus are not climbers but can be very satisfactorily trained against a wall, amazing perfumed blue flowers in spring, some are evergreen. Winter jasmine is another popular plant, small yellow flowers now.
    Then there are loads of annual climbers, Tropolaeum [yellows, oranges, red] and Ipomoea [whites, pinks cerise and purples] for instance both easy to grow each spring to climb through a background plant.
    Hope this helps! ;)