Things you find in the sink..... Eeek!!

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Hyla arborea, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    We get quite a lot of these.... They love to come indoors and scuttle up and down the walls! Big legs at the back, little ones at the front, like the wheels on racing cars. They move like lightning, too.... :rolleyes:

So here it is, name of "Scutigera coleoptrata" - but if it helps you to sleep more easily, I don't think they've reached the UK - yet.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
  3. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
  4. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Great article, K-G! Must admit I don't mind them though - the one in the pic I posted was caught in a well-washed cat food tin and dumped out of the kitchen window.... and since they'll eat small spiders and resting mossies - Mrs HA's REAL pet hates - I reckon they do more good than harm. But even Gerry Durrell found them a bit revolting.... :D They don't do "cute" very well, do they?

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,715
    I agree with K-G and think it's rather elegant looking, Ha! We don't have such here, that I know of. In fact, I haven't seen many creepy crawlies of any sort. We're mostly geckos, which I love.

6. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yep - I envy you the geckos - and they're great for eating the creepy-crawlies too! Wish we had them here. But we have lots of lovely plants and animals, so I'm not complaining. Nearly orchid time, and I've just found a new patch of interesting leaves near the farm "graveyard".... I'll keep you posted!

7. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,715
    Our wild orchids are out already. I post a not-very-good picture of a Bee Orchid the other day in Wildflowers, Wildflowers of Portugal. Maybe you could do one on France?

8. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    That is a good idea Lofl - please do so Hyla arborea. I'm sure lots of us would be interested.

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,690
    That's after the reptiles and amphibians Kedi.
    Seems like HA will be busy! [​IMG]

10. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Heeeeelp!!!! Will have a bash - but the tourist season's started early this year!!! First guests have been and gorn, more arrive in a couple of days, then my new(ish) granddaughter whom I've yet to meet....

But we'll try and get a few shots in. The pyramidal orchids in the top field are still little more than pairs of leaves, and I can't find the lady orchids at all yet, so there's still time!!! (And I DO have to replace some major stonework in the pillar that holds up the first-floor verandah - just a minor matter! These old houses, eh?!!)

11. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,715
    Enough of these excuses! Great news ... look forward to them as and when!

12. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2