Thinking about growing some shrooms..the legal kind!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by james swann, Oct 23, 2012.

1. james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
    +141
    Hello all, i've been thinking about growing some mushrooms, and ive seen the oyster mushroom kits online which i like the look of, both the yellow and white kits. Does anyone have any experience using these kits, are there any recomendations? What specific types should i go for as a beginner, personally i hate mushrooms but the mrs loves button mushrooms, but im not sure she can eat them as she's pregnant and she only likes to eat them raw (and that was before the pregnancy)
    I just enjoy a new challenge, and im told this is the best time of year to start them off?
    I also think the oyster mushroom looks amazing in both forms....but again i don't ever tend to start in an easy place...but im thinking this may be one area i need to start from the very beginning in?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Wotcha James,

Hope you and the Mrs are well.

I used to work on a mushroom farm. Don't grow Oyster Mushrooms indoors, the spores they put out will give you severe respiratory problems. Best off getting innoculated logs for stacking outside, although they can take up to 3 years to produce.

Then you have to protect them from Mr Badger, who will destroy the logs just to see if there are any beetle grubs in there.

3. james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
    +141
    wotcha zigs,

yeah all good cheers! But they look so pretty, what if i grew them in an old fish tank lol :D

Ive got an apple tree i cut down sitting seasoning outside the back door down the cold dank alley, i did notice some fungal growth on that the other day which i was quite proud of considering i did nothing but stack the cut logs.

what type would be best to grow indoors dya rekon or maybe in the blow away over winter!

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Agaricus Bisporus, but you need to get the humidty up to 98% & temp about 30c.

Not much grows over winter (apart from the winter fungus, which grows on trees & doesn't have much flavour)

5. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I think they are grown in trays in greehouses with high humidity level.
    James swann - first of all congratulations for your wife, but i am not sure she should eat mushrooms whilst pregnant or breastfeeding, at least my mother was of the opinion that they were not indicated during pregnancy...

6. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,341
    I love mushrooms, but alas I have to buy
    I bought a kit once to be kept in the house
    I got no mushrooms but thousands of tiny flies
    Never tried since

Jack McH

7. stumorphmac

stumorphmac cymbidist

RETIRED GARDENER
    Ratings:
    +212
    Yes jack I have had a similar experience did get some mushrooms but more of those tiny flies

8. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    A cellar would be a good place. They need a constant temperature I believe. When I lived in the country we used to have tons for free ahh bacon eggs sausage.................