Thinking about next years plantings ...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by biker, Aug 12, 2008.

1. biker

biker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've never grown chillies before and wondering if anyone had recommendations. Will probably grow them in pots on the patio if that is a good option?

Like the small red and green ones that are good for very spicy indian food. Use quite a few of them throughout the year so some good croppers would be good.

Are they freezable?

Any recommendations for expert growers?

thanks

2. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Biker, I'm not an expert but I have grown chillies for the last 3 years, in pots and yes, they have done very well.
    I have alwasy chosen varities that are hot :) (my first criteria)
    I'd have to look at my chillie seeds packet to tell you what varitey they are and I'm at work right now so willhave to do this in the afternoon.

Chillies are freezeable.

This is how I do mine:

Mince the chillies in your electric grinder, liquidiser or whatever it is called....don't do them too fine, tip them in a bowl and if you have minced up 1 lb of chillies, then stir in 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil or any other vegetable oil. give it a good stir and pack it in containers with tight lids. do not pack too tightly.
    when you need to use any, all you need to do is scoop out what you want. The oil seems to make it easier to get a spoonful out at a time otherwise you end up with a frozen block of chillies and have to stand there chipping bits off.:D:D

You can certainly chop the chillies and freeze them but I don't like handling chillies too much, makes my fingers burn so I use the method above.

I do the same with ginger, the market in MK sells very good quality ginger at very very good prices.

theres 2 things I always have as standbys in my freezer and that is chillies and ginger. can't make a decent curry without these two ingredients.

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,866
    Great tip about using the oil!

4. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Must try some chillies next year...I've grown peppers but never chillies.:thumb:

Don't know if this would work with chillies, but with peppers I diced them up after de-seeding them of course and put them on a big oven tray to dry them slowly...then into jars. They do last all winter and of course are great for curries.

5. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    We grew Cayenne first time this year, and are producing lots of fruit. Growing in hanging baskets / pots.

6. Ariadae

Ariadae Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +679
    Have had great success growing all kinds-banana, habanero, tiny fiery ones. Got mine from Nicky's seeds, lots of different sorts there and some collections. also saved seeds from those I've bought, they also grow well.
    Good luck with them!

Aria