Thirsty plant/tree needed

Discussion in 'Trees' started by steveb1973, Oct 24, 2005.

1. steveb1973

steveb1973 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.I have a very soggy corner of my lawned garden. There are only probably 4 weeks a year where your socks would stay dry walking on it without shoes!!!
    Any suggestion as to a plant or tree etc. that would be happy sat there, and more importantly one that would drink water like you would beer if its a free bar at your local!!!? :D

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,074
    Have a look at something like Halesia or perhaps Larch or Swamp Cypress, sorry cannot off hand remember the Latin name.

[ 24. October 2005, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Palustris ]

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    How big is the garden? There's always Willow [many bushy varieties] and Alder if you have enough space, or Gunnera and Sambucus on a slightly smaller scale.

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Willow was the first thing that came to my mind Liz. :D

You could also maybe look at Elder. Of course if it's that bad you could work with nature by planting reeds, cotton grass and water iris.

[ 24. October 2005, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: frogesque ]

5. petal

petal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My garden resembled a paddy field when I first moved here 21 years ago. A local nurseryman with a lifetime's experience suggested I planted a while poplar about 200 feet away from the house. It grew very quickly and solved the waterlogging problem. I also have three different willows which came later. Alas the white poplar has gone now but it gave us 17 years of pleasure. It's an attractive tree with lovely silver green leaves with a white underside.

6. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    A natural pond with reeds etc. lots of fun, frogs, newts, dragon flies, pond snails, great beetles. not if you have children perhaps.

7. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My soap box.

I always think that the safest children are those who have grown up in a pond environment. They can be taught the dangers of going too close etc. The same applys to kids living on a busy road, they are the first to learn road sense.