Thirsty tulips.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hartley Botanic, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I know this isn't gardening as such, because it concerns a vase of tulips...!

But I have noticed they are incredibly thirsty, I am having to top up the water far more regularly than I thought (not that I mind).

I was just pondering if this is normal, or if it could be to do with my central heating or something similar? Just wondered what you guys thought.

Also, I have heard putting lemonade in with the water can prolong cut flowers, as the sugar helps? Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Hartley, I've noticed the warmer it is the more water flowers get through, not just tulips.
    And they last much longer if kept in a cooler place - but that's not always where you want them.
    I don't know if they last longer with lemonade in the water but they do seem to last longer with that flower food stuff that comes with them.
    Also the type of flower makes a big difference to lasting ability.
    I've noticed Astrantia, carnations and chrysants (in that order) last longer than anything else.

3. sparky

sparky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    gerberas last longer with some pennies in the water,I keep some of the old ones for them--more copper.

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    That's interesting Sparky. How long do Gerberas last with pennies in the water. Although they are lovely they never last more than 2 or 3 days in a vase for me.

5. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,114
    :) It stands to reason that the central heating would have an effect,I suspect though that you may have a narrow vase,so less water.

A little bit off thread we put some Tulips on a family grave this year and through all the frost and snow they are still standing, that is over a month absolutely amazing........

6. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    i have heard somewhere ,that a drop of iron bru, added to the water prolongs the cut flowers life.

WELL AFTER ALL ITS MADE FROM GIRDERS !!! :wink: music

7. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha! Some great replies, as ever. Thank you guys :D