this is my lawn need help

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by timandjo, Jun 24, 2007.

1. timandjo

timandjo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  2. timandjo

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]jpg[/img]G]
    this is it close up whats the best plan to get nice full lawn

3. timandjo

Ratings:
    +0
  4. TeaTree

TeaTree Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The top image from a distance makes it look quite good, but I see what you mean when you show the up close image

Amateur Gardening magazine have an article about lawns this week, and they recomend using a Weed, Feed and Moss killer (Which of they recomend using EVERGREEN Complete)

It also looks a little dried out, surely it gets water?

-Sam

5. timandjo

Ratings:
    +0
    this gets lots of water but the roots are very hard staw like not fluffy grass

6. Sunshine P

Sunshine P Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    mine was like that but i put on it evergreen complete as sam has suggested not only have i got a lovely green lawn it is also weed free, i highly recommend Evergreen complete. You try it and let us know what its like in a couple of weeks

7. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    i used evergreen feed and weed on my lawn and as it had moss underneath it, it also kill the lawn ,
    from what i have learned if you don't have a weed problem just used lawn food to green it up.

i have been using blood fish and bone and it stinks like a cats ar*e (not that i go sniffing)but ............ is fantastic my lawn is a very lush green and also alot thicker (had bare & brown patches) plus its under �£2 bargin just don't use it in hot dry sunny weather not that there is any chance of that round here !!! and spinkle lightly after mowing or if you are suffering from alot of rain and your grass is quite long due to IT KEEPS RAINING :mad: thats ok too.

8. gerkin50

gerkin50 Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    is your mower blade sharp?

9. timandjo

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks i raked and sowed more seed

10. vegman

vegman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pelleted feeds have a drawback in dry weather in as much that if it doesnt rain shortly after application the grass can burn and turn brown Also im not keen on these multitask applications, applying food to something your trying to kill etc etc. if something goes wrong its difficult to know which of the components was at fault.

I use a liquid feed called lawn magic applied with a hose end feeder from superspray. you can get both products from supersprays website. Its a lot less effort and gives good results. packaging maybe isnt as flashy as the ones from the big companies but it does the job.

11. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Vegman, My garden was turfed, about two months ago, it seemed to take well but grew loads of meadow grass, now there are lots of brown dead patches. I have two lawns and one is fine I fed with aftercut and it loved it, the other was struggling, had more meadow grass etc I fed that with aftercut about 3.5 weeks ago and it is worse than before (suspect most of it has been washed away however) We had a problem with the new rotary mower we bought, not cutting properly and leaving the tips of the grass brown and shredded. We have swapped for a flymo however have yet to use it with this damn weather!

Should I use the feed again? I am thinking of mowing tomorrow and it is looking like ran the next day? Should I rake out the dead patches and seed - let me know how you get on with that timandjo.

As it is only one lawn that is really struggling and the problems seems mainly to be in the middle not the edges I am also worried about drainage with all this rain, though it does seem to drain away ok. Any tips would be greatly received .

12. timandjo

Ratings:
    +0
    up date well the pach that i well racked and reseeded is looking good so will be doing all the lawn

13. Donovan

Donovan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I am no expert certainly, though i do love my lawn. The detailed picture you offer indicates a variety problem as much as anything. Differing varities of grass will flourish in different conditions.

I recon you have common bent or couch grass there on a sandy soil. Rhizomal grasses love loose soil, while finer grass species like the fescues will die off with too much ware.

I would try scarrifying in the autumn then over with some lawn seed and roll in, hope it is wet for a while but not cold. Seed will develop.

gently cut to keep the existing grass down, apply fertiliser 20:10:10, and nurse the young grass along. Do this a number of years and you will change the future. By the way keep the kids off the grass.