Thistles

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by frogesque, Apr 21, 2006.

1. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    OK, maybe we are are biased up here but what better excuse for having a patch of jaggy thistles in the garden?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taken end of August last year, there were loads of them! I've also seen a pair of goldfinches feeding on the seedheads [​IMG]

2. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    WOW!!!!!!! Beautiful so lifelike [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Superb pics F.
    What camera/lens and did you use a tripod?

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Great picture, but I would sooner have them on a Budlea - the field next door to me is full of thistles in the summer and all the seed blows onto my patch

5. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Do any of you grow milk thistles ? as they make lovely plants in the garden and the flower heads are nice dried and can be used for flower arrangements in the winter..I grow milk thistle and i will take a photo of some when they are in flower..Hope nothing feeds on my thistle seeds as i want them to make tea with!!

6. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I grow a thistle that I got from the car boot sale and it is fantastic - called sillybum 0 HONESTLY!

It grows to about f foot high has fantastic silver and gree leaves and absolutely masses of vivid purple flowers. Then it dies and seeds all over the garden.

7. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    waco that sounds like milk thistle ..you can grind the seeds and make tea with them its an excellent plant to keep your liver healthy...some people also stew the leaves but i personally dont fancy that..allthough thety say it tastes like spinach..you can also eat the flower buds like artichoke....and the roots can also be eaten..the milk thistle got its name as they say the virgin marys milk ran down the leaves hence its name marianum ..and the silymarin part came from its unique flavolignans which protect the liver from toxins..i prefer to dry mine to put in a vase for the winter as they really are attractive..

8. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The slugs seem to love milk thistle and i have to keep mine with a circle of blue pellets round it or else i will get up and all thats left is a stalk..as that has happend before..well they must be healthy slugs!!

9. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thats a lovely story wildflower, thanks I will see them in a different light now. as to my liver.......um well I am mindfull that it is getting up to G & T time!

I am lucky, don't get any slugs - I have even seen them beginning to grow in the farmers field next to me, what fun to see a field full of them!

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I hope you mean the thistles and not the slugs, Waco!! :eek:

BTW - what incredible photos, Froggy!! Can't be this year, tho???

11. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    Oh what lovely pictures.

12. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well dendrobium, mine is not an incredible photo but is this year (Sunday) peakock butterfly that is. (Primrose thread)

AND yes I mean thistles not slugs - YUCK - bet the little ***** get my Solomons seal though!

13. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    love the avatar, Wildflower! ;) Your garden?

14. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, great avatar wildflower! [​IMG]

15. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I had to get the web master to put it on for me as i just couldnt get my head round it..yes it is my garden..if he hadnt done it i would have remained blank forever...as it was confusing...going back to the milk thistle well i planted some once and got up the next day and their was nothing their at all..i seem to have loads of slugs and i have loads of frogs so i dont know what is going on..and as for the milk thistle they adore it...i have had to plant mine right in the middle of my new wild flower plot as i have small grand children and they might start handling them and they come a bit sharp..so they are out of reach...