Thompson and Morgan £10 Offer

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Nov 26, 2010.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    If you are on the T and M mailing list they are having a 3 day promotion - ending Sunday . If you spend over £10 they are giving you £10 discount :D I have just bought £10.16 worth of seeds and paid £0.16 , plus P and P of course. Check your mail box it seems like a good offer.

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thank you for that HarryS.
    I've just checked my inbox and yes indeed, that offer is there :gnthb:

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    sounds too good to be true.:scratch:

Getting shot of last years seed perhaps???????

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "Getting shot of last years seed perhaps"

Probably not (reputable name and all that).

The Mail order companies I work for are always keen to offset busy periods by encouraging people to shop earlier - so often give incentives to existing customers to shop earlier than normal., Existing Customers think it is a loyalty-perk ... which is then known as "win - win" :)

5. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I think you're being too cynical Pete :flag:
    T & M are a reputable company and they sell more than seeds.
    I'll certainly be taking up the offer.

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    Never found them to be reputable Alice, some of their claims about certain plants are downright stupid.

eg, "Bat plants are possible to grow in the border and will take a few degrees of frost", I was sold dead tubers for which I claimed my money back.(bought for a friend).

Bought all kinds of dead seed from them years ago before realising it was not me that was germinating it wrong, just very old seed.

The company is very dodgy, and I would not buy anything more exotic than Brussel sprouts from them.:)

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    £10.16, worth of seeds for 16p is commercial suicide, it has to be a scam.
    Not saying the seeds wont grow, it depends on what they are, but its not believable that this is fresh seed.

8. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    Pete - it is only a 3 day promotion, and you have to pay P and P which was £57.23 .
    No it was £2.56 postage , and it is a reputable seed company , I have used them for years now.

9. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Never had any problems with this company. I've found them the most reliable. Last year they couldn't supply me with the product I wanted and they sent me enough free vouchers to fill my garden next year and a bit more.
    pete, I think one bad experience has tainted you against them. As regards poor advice, you get that everywhere. Some of the shopping chanels suggest you can plant bare-rooted fruit trees in the Spring and get fruit the same year, as if! One of the great things about sites like this is that if you fancy growing something that is new to you, you can ask advice.

10. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I've had numerous disappointments with T&M seeds over the years. I now only buy from them things that I cannot get anywhere else. And I deleted the Offer Email assuming it was yet-another-wonder-plant-offer from them (and I do need some Petunia seeds from them ... haven't found anyone else who offers single-colour Single and Double Petunias that I want)

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    I've had more than one bad experience from T&M Cajary, I bought seed from them for a good few years in the late 70s and 80s, being a bit gullible in those days I took all their claims at face value.

I found that if you stuck to the more common types of plant there was not much problem, but at the time they were one of the few companies offering exotic seed along side the more usual stuff, I must have spent pounds on what was very old seed, germination rates were always low.

Since then they have moved into the small plant business as you know.
    So they couldn't supply what you had ordered, thats quite normal for them, and vouchers for next year, when you want plants this year, is not much help in my opinion.

Some of the claims made by them regarding their promotional plants for any one year can be quite ridiculous, I find it amazing they have not been sued.:)