Thought s & Advice on Photo's

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by scooby-mas, Jun 2, 2013.

1. scooby-mas

scooby-mas Gardener

Postie
    Ratings:
    +31
    I was @ my local park today with a few mates who own radio controlled buggies!! these are the 1/5 scale large size around 20kg in weight 40-50mph and around 80cm long x 45cm wide so with that in mind i couldnt get to close.. using the 650d with kit lens on Tv mode...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

there all similar in quality... if anyone could advise on how i can get sharper shots? also could it be the kit lens? all the above have been croppped as i could get close enough without endangering myself... i would be gratefully off any help given thanks.

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Hi Scooby!
    The Canon 18-55mm 'kit' lens is a good lens and will produce excellent results up within limits. I think that in the photos you've posted you are pushing it beyond those limits. You say the images are crops, it would have been interesting and helpful to see an uncropped version of one or two but from what I see and you've said, I'd suggest that for shots such as these you need something like a 70-300mm zoom.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • scooby-mas

scooby-mas Gardener

Postie
      Ratings:
      +31
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      Here's a couple not cropped as you can see I carnt get close enough with out being in danger.

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,702
      For a subject such as this, collaboration would help.

I think you can get closer by speaking to the buggies owner and asking for him/her to run it along a set path, then maybe getting bolder and arranging tricks/chases at certain points, this way you can get closer whilst retaining a certain degree of safety. You'll be amazed at how people will bend over backwards to help you, especially if you promise them copies of the shots too.

It was just such a collaboration that enabled me to get this shot of a kite surfer on my old 350d (few years ago now!) using the kit lens (18-55).

[​IMG]

It was arranged, and he was around 20ft from the shoreline when I got this cracker...and a whole heap of others too of him performing tricks etc.

The 650d is a superb camera ( I have one too) and its kit lens (18-55) also has IS so enabling much sharper photos...but arrange your shot first if you can for better results.

For what its worth I like your crops above as they capture the action which is great.

A further way to also improve your shots is to switch from the semi auto mode "TV" and go to full manual control, with that you will have full control of the camera, rather than it controlling you.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1