Thrown out again

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Apr 13, 2011.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I was involuntarily logged out again while writing a fairly long post. I wasn't aware of being logged out until I attempted to submit the post - which was a pain because of the length of the post and the fact that it was a waste of time and effort.

It's NOT my cookies, as they've been cleared, so it must be something else. I booked on normally but was logged off without requesting it after a length of time - so is there a time factor in the bug?

Anyway I reset the password again and, hopefully, we're back to normal - unless there is a re-occurring time factor bug!!

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    You can sometimes get your POST back by pressing BACK (and then cut & paste to Word / Notepad or somesuch whilst sorting out the problem). Although I expect you know / tried that.

No help, I know, but I did the clear-cookies thing and logged in when the forum changed ... and I haven't had to log in since.

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Thanks Kristen, I did try that but it didn't work for me. What's irritating is having logged on properly and whilst in the middle of a long post to be logged out, without your knowledge, completing the post and then only when submitting it find you're logged and and the post won't recover because of it. I'm inventing a new set of swear words!!

I cleared all the cookies when we had the change after suffering being logged out involuntarily and everything was fine until the bug raised it's head again yesterday! I've got programs running that delete any cookies that appear as I don't like being tracked etc.

Anyway, we'll see how long it is before I get thrown out again!!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      "I've got programs running that delete any cookies that appear as I don't like being tracked etc. "

Might that have deleted the Cookie that keeps you logged in to GC?

Tangential thought: There probably IS a time limit on log-in. So maybe that just expired whilst you were posting? I mean ... maybe we all have to log back in once a month, or something like that.

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        That's a thought, Kristen! Although if the GC cookie had been deleted how did I manage to log on properly as I know the program deletes cookies at 1400 hrs daily so it would have been done before I logged on. Also, since it does cookie killing daily why have I had a good run since the change without any problem??

The other thing I've noticed is that there doesn't appear to be any notification of received personal messages as there was before the change - or is that another problem I've got!?

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,126
        :scratch: Well Armandii I don't know why you got kicked out.. The only reason I can think it happened that way is that you didn't tick the "Remember Me" box that time.. :scratch: I clear my cookies daily too & have no problems from that....
        As for your message notification you will now get that as I ticked a box for you. Hope you don't mind.! :WINK1:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        As always, Marley, you've come to my aid! You're right, I didn't tick the "remember me" box so thank you for doing it for me:thumbsup:

The other [good] thing thats happened, on this log in, is that I've got the smilies etc presented to me on the advanced message window and they're functioning.:sunny: Before I only had the option of the icon working.:cry3:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Its possible that your login is maintained by a Session Cookie. That will persist until you close your browser (or possibly the tab that GC is open in). I doubt your COokie Cleaner deletes those otherwise everything you were browsing would go haywire at 14:00! And as Session Cookies are not persistent they don't pose a threat

Notification of received personal messages is controlled by the Notification Type setting on "Go Advanced" reply.

In User Control Panel there is a Default Thread Subscription Mode which will apply when you don't explicitly indicate per-message. Mine is set to "No EMail notification"

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        Oh Dear, Oh Dear, it's happened again:cry3: Whilst writing a rather long personal message I got logged off again:dunno:

Mid-way through the message the screen refreshed itself and I think that was the indication that I'd just been thrown out again. It's putting me off writing lengthy posts such as the "FROM THE OLD BOOK" because it has happened where I've done the lengthy post only to lose it when submitting it because I had been logged out. That's what happened to me last night when taking extracts out for that post. :DOH:

As you say, Kristen, if my cookie cleaner had removed all "friendly" ones everything would be going haywire. So I'm reasonably sure it's not inspired by my side of things especially as it only appears to have happened since the change. Also I'm bemused as to why I've only just got the new advanced posts/messages windows today. Before I only got a posting window that allowed me to enter a smiley as a icon, no ability to go BOLDOR UNDERLINE or other options. I can only try again with the long posts or messages to see what happens :dunno:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Just happened to me to, was writing a 3 page reply to "The old Book"

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +91,982
          Stick to one liners, its easier..............

For me to read that is:heehee:

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,126
          :scratch: OK Chaps I will see if I can find any reason & also tell Nathan.. So sorry you lost all your work Armandii.. I know how annoying that is... :mad:

• Like Like x 2
          • Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
            +437
            [​IMG]

:D

Hope it gets sorted!

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,838
            That Squirrel, Melinda.has the same look on it's face as mine when I was being thrown out!:mad:

Thanks, Marley, for the help. I'm kind of glad to hear from Ziggy that he's had the same trouble as it does show the bug hasn't been inspired by anything in my computer. Losing the work doesn't matter that much now I've lost the steam! - besides it's giving my fingers and brain the extra exercise they need:heehee: Anyway, thank you for coming to our aid and it is really appreciated:thumbsup:

Ziggy, me ole pal, me ole beauty, I'm sorry to hear it happen to you too. But at least it confirms the bug is not just isolated to me so that might help Marley and Nathan to track it down and cure it.:yess:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Armandii, me old fruitbat :WINK1: Was it on "The Old Book" thread too ?

Maybe the thread has just got too big, to many gigaquads or Terabratulids or such like ?:scratch::catapult: