Thuja standishii shaping advice

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Grounded, Mar 23, 2024.

1. Grounded

Grounded Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This thuja had uncontrolled growth for few years, what would you do with it ? I have tools but not much knowledge how to approach.

Obviously, classic conical shape is not possible because half of the top is on neighbours side.

I acknowledge the top is ugly but practically it covers all windows of the house opposite, would be a pity to lose this privacy. Ideally, I would also free up the ground space it occupies by pruning bottom up to the around half or top fence height level but that would involve removing thicker branches at the bottom and is unlikely to be reversible should I regret this decision later.

To summarise, how to reshape it to keep privacy screen at the top, gain some ground space at the bottom and make it look better overall but not weird?

Thanks

upload_2024-3-23_10-30-52.png

2. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,965
    Hello @Grounded. I'd be tempted to remove the branches from the lower trunk as you have described. I've raised the crown on most of the trees in my garden for the same reason. I'd only take branches from the bottom third of the trunk though, for aesthetic reasons! Try starting at the bottom and go slowly, stepping back to see your progress and stop when it looks right. If you're nervous, post your photos during the process and we can help you along!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1