Thunbergia

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Hornbeam, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The Jade Vine has gone over at Cambridge Botanic Garden and they are currently re-structuring their greenhouses, but you can still see their fabulous Thunbergia

[​IMG]

2. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow! Looks like a shoe shop!

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    I've never seen a Thunbergia like that ... I only know the Black Eyed Susan! Are they even the same family or is this one of these plants with the same name but a completely different species? :cofused:

Sshhh, Celia ... Honey Bee may hear and have to go investigate! :D :D

4. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    This is the plant's label and information notice:
    [​IMG]

5. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Thanks, Hornbeam, have made a note of the name. Wouldn't mind one of those ... along with a Jade Vine! I shall have to do a wee bit of research on seeds for these beauties. My book only has the T alata and the T grandiflora which looks quite superb as well!

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    That not a thunbergia that I have seen, its certainly different, bet it takes up acres of space. [​IMG]

7. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Not really, Pete. At Cambridge it takes up much less space than the Jade Vine or a grape vine. The flowers are about daffodil size

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Ah well one day it might be worth a try. :D

9. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    Hi Hornbeam I was at the Cambridge Bott.Gardens at the weekend hoping to see the Jade Vine,but as you said it was way over,but I did photograph the Thunbergia from a different perspective to you and I thought was worth a look.

[​IMG]

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    How beautiful ... you could almost picture miniatures monkeys swinging around! [​IMG]

11. bettyblue

bettyblue Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, that thunbergia is amazing, puts my black-eye to shame! Does the T grandiflora only have blue flowers, or can u get a multi-coloured one? + the T alata in white, is that still called a B.E.S?

12. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Thunbergia mysorensis is certainly spectacular and as long as you can provide sufficient heat and humidity, it is not too difficult to grow. Even though it flowers on current year's growth and can be hard pruned, it does need some room to develop if it is to look its best.

I wouldn't say that Thunbegia grandiflora has blue flowers, they are lilac-mauve and only appear blue-ish in low light. Nevertheless, it's a very attractive species that will even flower moderately well if moved out of doors for the summer, but only in the south. This is just as well because it needs a fair amount of growing space even though it can be severely pruned in winter. There's a very handsome white variety 'alba', which if anything is slightly more cool tolerant than the species. I'm going to try this one permanently out of doors here in Torquay, so fingers crossed.

I suppose if it has the dark centre, yes. Common names are never definitive nor official so you can apply them to whatever takes your fancy.

13. bettyblue

bettyblue Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave, im going for the alba next aswell, not outside all year tho....so cold today it's like the first frost has arrived already!!!

14. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    T.mysorensis is a beauty, and as stated can make a nice conservatory or greenhouse specimen.
    On our visit to Hill House Nursery last year I convinced my better half that she really wanted this - Thunbergia gregorii..............
    DSC_1131.jpg