tiller

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by gingergerry, Jun 9, 2010.

1. gingergerry

gingergerry Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi peeps, Can anyone till me if an electric tiller would be strong enough to turn relatively untouched ground or am I going to to have to bite the bullit and buy a petrol jobbie. Not wishing to appear lazy but the cost would off set the inevitable back pain.:old:

2. Dorrie

Dorrie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, we recently purchased a Mantis Tiller. It was fantastic on ground that had been broken before but didn't manage to do much with new ground. This is a petrol tiller. I am very glad we bought it an it has saved many hours of digging but as I said, it wasn't great for new ground. Hope this helps. :)

3. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Ginberberry, I too could do with an answer to a similar dilemma..

I have been looking at the electric tillers because much as I have a tiller, it is too big for me to handle and I cannot even start it anyway. That string pully thing just does not work for me because I lack strength in my right arm due to an OP. some years ago and I only end up having loads of pain if I try too many times. I reckon if I started the thing up, I'd not be able to stop it till it got to the sea......

Would love to know if anyone can recommend a chape electric tiller. I have managed to get the veg. in this time but will certainly need to do some digging (proper digging) eventually.

4. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
  5. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    I don't think you have a mission with trying to turn virgin soil with an electric tiller
    Even a strong petrol driven one will give you a very hard time
    The solution is to pre dig virgin soil and then use a petrol jobby
    Electric tillers are great for the annual turning of your vegetable garden, where the soil has already been well broken up

6. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I agree, digging to break in the soil is the best way, then use a petrol powered rotavator. I have both petrol and electric. I would warn however that the Mantis which was 750watt is now only 520watt. If you want a really powerful electric model then The Wolf-Garten C30E Electric Tiller is available at £179 from
    http://www.mowerwarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/WOLF-GARTEN_C30E_ELECTRIC_TILLER.html?adnetwork=wg

But it is easy to overload an electric rotavator and burn out the motor