Time to Turf?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by treehouse, Mar 23, 2009.

1. treehouse

treehouse Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello everyone,
    I have a brother near to Aldershot, and he has just ordered his turf for his garden.
    Does anyone have any top tips I could pass to him? He has prepared the ground by digging it over and sending his kids out to play in their new football boots (with studs).
    I'm wondering if he needs to do anything important before it turns up on Wednesday?
    :cnfs:

Thanks! jo

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    There are probably all sorts of things you need to do to prepare the ground properly, but I returfed the garden last April following its destruction by the chickens the previous winter. I just laid the new turf on top of the old "lawn", no special prep. Just made sure the edges overlapped just a tiny amount and then pressed down firmly!

Lawn is still there, has survived a dreadful winter and regularly ends up very damp and boggy as we're on clay. On thing, water it, water it, water it ALL the time after its laid, especially if it looks like its going to be dry. Otherwise it'll die. I repeat, water it ALL the time!!

3. treehouse

treehouse Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks for your words of advice and encouragement Aaron! I have got the mantra ready for my brother, and will chant it down the phone at him, via his facebook, and through regular text messaging.
    'water it, water it, water it all the time..... or it will die, water, water, water..........!
    Many thanks! jo