Timing to Prune Euonymus Red Cascade

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by hailbopp, Mar 5, 2024.

1. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +854
    Wondering if anybody knows the best time to prune the above.
    I have grown this large shrub/ small tree now! for over 25 years and never pruned it. Every year I think I must and then promptly forget about it.
    It is now far too tall where it is and needs a good 5 ft taken of it which is fairly dire.
    I am presuming like most deciduous shrubs it is best to prune in the dormant period? Living in a pretty cold part of the UK I tend to prune quite last so as not to encourage new growth too early. It obviously flowers in spring so if I prune now I will loose the pretty insignificant flower but not fussed about that. All I do not want to do is kill the shrub as it puts in a wonderful display of autumn colour, the reason I grow it. Bud break will be happening in about 10 days so thought maybe now would be good? I could maybe delay prune, doing half this year and half next?

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,365
    Now is a good time to do it and you may still get the buds and flowers forming just a bit later than usual. If you're going to do it now you need to check whether there are any bird nests in it. We've found that blackbirds seem to like to nest in the thick growth that is formed because of pruning.

We keep most of ours pruned and shaped and done with a hedge cutter. If you do that it can also be lightly pruned in Autumn.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
      +854
      Many thanks @shiney. Mine is not that bushy as never been pruned so no fear of upsetting the birds. Oh I was so upset a few years ago as was hacking back a huge Holly only to find a Robin’s next which had eggs in it. I immediately stopped and stuck back the cut branches to hide the nest again. I sat for ages a distance away from the nest to see if the Mum came back and she did so all was well. 5 babies were raised. It was early in the season and I did not think Robins would have started breeding but they must start early!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,365
        Robins have already built nests outside my window. :rolleyespink: