Tiny orange/red eggs on compost in greenhouse

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Rob Miller, May 12, 2015.

1. Rob Miller

Rob Miller Gardener

Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    I noticed these egg looking things on the compost in just one of my pots containing a tomato seedling. Does anybody have any ideas what they are? I've just got my first greenhouse and I'm worried something is going to decimate my whole crop.

I tried to get the photo as clear as possible.

Thanks.

IMG_0067.JPG IMG_0068.JPG IMG_0069.JPG IMG_0070.JPG

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,925
    Difficult to see but I think it's a fungus, so I would discard that pot in case it spreads.

Welcome to the forum BTW :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,979
      I was wondering what the compost is?:smile:

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +51,873
      I've seen that before on those horrid peat pots that you get - sure, they may well dissolve eventually, but they always seem to come with tons of spores/fungus free of charge.

Welcome aboard :sign0016:

EDIT - and a closer look at the photo suggests your seedlings are indeed in those peat pots. As soon as you can, I would pot them on into a conventional pot

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Rob Miller

Rob Miller Gardener

Student
        Ratings:
        +25
        Thanks for the welcome, after you suggested fungus someone mentioned that they think it is nectria peziza. Looks similar from the Google results I found. :)

• Rob Miller

Rob Miller Gardener

Student
        Ratings:
        +25
        It's just multipurpose compost from B & M but in a biodegradable brown pot of some kind. I thought to would be easier but you can see it started to rot and I had to put the pot inside a new biodegradable pot, so there is one inside another. Waste of time, won't be doing that again. :wallbanging:

Thanks for the welcome! :new:

I had a mini forest of tall thin mushrooms growing in those pots when I was germinating my courgettes. Seemed strange that they weren't sterile.

I don't know what they are made of but they were conventional pot shaped and dry, I just filled it with compost. Not like those peat pellet things you soak. Will need to buy some normal pots as this is my first year trying veg since I just moved into a house with a garden.

• Like Like x 2
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +51,873
          I tried those pots the first couple of years when I was a beginner, and had nothing but fungus and mushrooms from them - I give them a miss now.

I can recommend a pot supplier if it helps, but they sell in moderate to large quantities. Some garden centres have pot repositories where people can put their unwanted pots, and other can help themselves - might be worth a look for you?

Whereabouts are you? UK I presume?

PS - I found that plastic cups (the sort you buy in the supermarket for parties) with a few wee drainage holes in them were a better option than the peat pots - they are only a short term solution though, especially with tomatoes as they really get going once they are up.

Feel free to ask whatever you need to - we were all beginners once, and we are all here to help each other (and have a bit of a giggle too). If you need any help using or navigating the forums, ask any of the regulars (you will soon spot them), or give one of the staff team a shout. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Rob Miller

Rob Miller Gardener

Student
            Ratings:
            +25
            I won't be buying them again; they seem like such a waste of money. A pot supplier would be welcomed. I expect I will probably need a fair amount of pots since I have an 8x6 greenhouse and will be trying to raise all veg from seed (as I have done this year).

Yeah, I live in Edinburgh. Good idea for the plastic cups as a temporary measure. You say they get going but it feels like they are growing so so slowly, they only have one set of true leaves and they're well over a month old. :scratch:

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +91,979
              Hi, @Rob Miller .

If they are Toms, I would suggest they are too cold.
              Toms go that purple colour when they are struggling with cold conditions.
              It would also explain the slow growth.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +51,873
                Ah, your location explains a lot - - my mum lives just outside Musselburgh, so I am reasonably familiar with the Edinburgh area. I reckon you will be two to three weeks behind the south of the country in terms of weather and temperature, so once things warm up a wee bit your tomatoes should be off and running.

If you are really keen, you could get yourself some heat in the greenhouse (I use an oil filled radiator that is controlled by a thermostatic plug - seems to work well), but given that we are well into May, that is probably going to be overkill for the sake of a week or two.

First things first, get them potted on into nice fresh pots - sink the seedlings as much as you can so the top of the compost is just under the seed leaves (cotyledons), and what is stem now will form root quite rapidly. Once you get the first set of true leaves, you will have stocky wee tomato plants in a couple of weeks, and you can then feed them a bit to help things along.

I usually get my pots from Garden Superstore, as they are cheap as chips, and last really quite well (I am on my third year of using the wee pots that are 8p each or less, and they are still fine - just store them in the shed once you are done with them for the year).

For trays, in addition to the above, I also sometimes use Scotplants Direct - - I got a load of 12-cell trays from them a few years ago and they are really decent quality for pennies.

Where you are, one of the biggest challenges is going to be temperature (or lack thereof) - and of course wind scorch if things are outside in that cold wind that blows in from the firth; once you get a good warm spell, or if you have a bit of shelter at your location, you should do fine. :blue thumb:

Nice to have your company, and I look forward to nattering away with you.

PS - you did the right thing posting photos, as we love photos around here, and they often help others to help you.

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Rob Miller

Rob Miller Gardener

Student
                  Ratings:
                  +25
                  Cheers for the links and tips on pots, heating etc. Got a parson frost guard electric heater but need to look into getting electricity out to the greenhouse.

Speak soon! :ThankYou:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +51,873
                    You are more than welcome - you don't have to spend a fortune really, as long as you make it safe and have complete control of how things are laid out (as in, not a shared garden or anything).

I use similar to these:

Heater

RCD

Thermostatic socket

Extension lead

From the mains socket indoors - RCD first, then extension lead out to the greenhouse, then thermostatic socket plugged into that (extension fully unwound by the way), and then the heater. My extension leaves the greenhouse via one of the roof vents (sellotape a bag or some bubble wrap over the inside if it is letting too much cold air in), and then goes in through our utility room window to the mains socket.

Good luck :)

• Like Like x 1
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • Rob Miller

Rob Miller Gardener

Student
                      Ratings:
                      +25
                      Amazing! I never though about running an extension lead - do you just put it out over winter and remove the extension during summer?

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                      Ratings:
                      +51,873
                      Pretty much - mine went out in March time then will come in when the heat is no longer needed. At the moment, it is mostly there for the radio since it has warmed up, but its good to have the thermostat to kick the heating in if the overnight temperature drops (which it is due to tonight). You don't want it out too early, as you will spend a fortune heating a greenhouse if you are not careful.

You can also insulate the inside of the greenhouse by sticking clear bubblewrap (get it as a big roll from the likes of Amazon) to the inside of the glass - helps keep the heating bills down a bit. Where you are, I would say there is little point in kicking anything off before the third or fourth week in March at the earliest

• Like Like x 1
                      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                        +48,925
                        You play music to your plants?

:)

• Like Like x 1