Tips

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lizzy t, May 24, 2008.

1. lizzy t

lizzy t Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!
    I've been told that if you put coffee grounds around the stems of your plants the slugs and snails won't go near them as they can't stand the feel of it! Anyone else got any tried and tested ways to keep these pests at bay!?
    Lizzy T:thumb:

2. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Lizzy
    I use slug traps with bitter beer (not lager)as the bait this works really well, far better than the commercial slug bait. I also use slug tape ( link below) to protect some of my containers - especially my Hosta - which seems to be a gourmet meal for the little blighters:D Then there are also the slug pellets which are very effective. It all depends if you want a non lethal detterent.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLUG-TAPE-COP...ryZ75576QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    grit work well also, ive found that this is really good around hostas etc in the gardens were Im meant to be organic!

4. lizzy t

lizzy t Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both for your advice - think I'll get some slug pellets in the window boxes - woke up this morning to find that two fat slugs(!) had almost demolished two petunias - I felt sooooo cross!:mad:
    Lizzie

5. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We use slug traps too. We made ours from pop bottles. I too use the slug tape, I've put it around my wooden planter (which the snails and slugs just looove) and it seems to be working:thumb: My neighbour puts salt (like the type you get in salt bins for salting the road) around her plants and swears by it for stopping slugs/snails.