To others with slug invasions

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Hummingbird, May 13, 2020.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    We have a serious slug problem and I've given up trying to fight them. I now just stick to perennials they mostly avoid.

I've had success with the usuals: Astilbies, Geum, Scabiosa, Aquilegia, Anemone etc. etc.

However, I see a lot of directly conflicting advice about others; for instance, Yarrow, Coneflower/Rudbeckia, Daylillies, Heuchera, Aster, Campanula, Pansy. I've seen all on both 'slugs love' and 'slugs hate' lists. Can any others with really bad slug problems please advise?

I also frequently read hydrangeas are slug-resistant, yet I've had to put a big slug ring around mine. Perhaps as I'm giving them so little else to choose from?

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  2. Islander77

Islander77 Keen Gardener

Various , allegedly retired
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Out here slugs are …. far too many to ignore. The only thing that works is pellets with traps ( old cat food tins with water and anything fruity) But mostly pellets, And they do work. It was the same when I lived in Orkney so I am used to it. As the birds stay clear of the garden because of the cats and don't get fed, there are no worries re harming them. As you rightly say they may be getting too numerous and too hungry. I have them under control now.