I have a few ancient apple trees which are groaning with apples.It is the biggest crop we have had since moving here 17 years ago. They are not quite ready as I was told you should wait for the pips to go brown before picking. We have had a fair few windfalls already so know the pips are still white but certainly the small eaters were still delicious despite not being totally ripe. The big cookers (not Bramleys, no idea of the variety are a bit of a way off being ripe) We are due 50+ mph winds tomorrow which will cause havoc with my trees I expect. Would I be best to pick the apples today despite not being ripe as I could foresee the majority ending up the ground if (large if!) the forecasters are correct or leave them in the hope they don't get blow down and can fully ripen?