To propogate very old rose.

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Drahcir, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,006
    This rose has flowered in a garden (not mine) for perhaps 80 years. It has a beautiful yellow flower. It would be very, very good to be able to propogate it.

It is not doing well at all. It's lived in the NE corner pof a front garden, partially shaded by a tree. Perhaps this will be its last year. There is some new growth, and I'm wondering if there is sufficient to propogate it. I have pot of Clonex (shaken, not stirred, after its Yodel delivery). I have little knowledge. I have never taken rose cuttings, or many other cuttings at all, before.

Any observations, or advice on propogation? I have a window of time maybe four months long to do this.

Here are some pictures of the new growth that there is.
    P1080660.JPG P1080662.JPG P1080663.JPG P1080664.JPG P1080665.JPG
    P1080660.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +47,768
      Yes you can take cuttings, here's a few videos on it. I've followed him and I've been successful.

• Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,006
      Thanks! I'll look.

As well as "how", I'm wondering "which bits to cut and when?" and "what is the likelihood of success?".

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,979
      I took grafts many years ago just for fun, seem to think it was a certain part of the stem and grafted using raffia to hold it in place. They took easily enough. Getting the right root stock may be a bigger problem. It's not a subject I know about.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      I think they normally bud roses, a form of grafting but you only use one bud.
      I've managed it with apples and citrus plants but not tried roses.
      As @JWK says you will need rootstocks to do that.
      Cuttings are probably the best way in that case.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,571
      I have done it in the past. I just took a number of roughly foot long healthy bits of stem towards the end of summer and pushed them into the ground, where it didn't get waterlogged and left them until May when I dug up the ones with shoots on. In fact just like gooseberry and red and blackcurrant cuttings.
      Might have more success with this method though; take a pot say 9 to 12 in across, threequarters fill with a gritty compost take your lengths of rose stem push them in, water well, fasten a plastic bag over the top and stick it some where shady out of the way of cold winds and the worst weather and forget until spring at which point should be growth on some then have a look and pot on as required.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +47,768
        The videos will tell you what to cut. Usually roses are grafted but they still come out the same.

• Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
        Ratings:
        +54,381
        I do what @NigelJ does and it works every time ...no fussing required, simple. Pot and plastic bag, shielded and left to do it's own thing :biggrin: :dbgrtmb:

I took loads from my parents garden before we closed up and sold the property after they passed away. Happy to report all have done well and bloomed this year.:yes:

• Like Like x 4
        • Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,006
          I haven't got very much material to use. That's one problem. All there is is in the pictures (there are other roses each side too), and if I cut that all off I think the rose will die, so I want to make sure of the job. There are four I think stems coming up off a right-to-left almost horizontal stem (pics 1, 3, 4); there's one nearly sticking straight up (pic 2), and one right at the base of the rose (pic 5) which may or may not be from the yellow rose if it was not a grafted one itself all those years ago; if it was it could be from the rootstock.

That's all the material there is. There are no other parts growing well at all.

• Informative Informative x 2
          • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
            Ratings:
            +54,381
            You can only either take a chance on a cutting or maybe cut it back to the little bit that is healthy and hope that it redirects it's strength and energy into growing a stronger, rejuvenated plant...50/50 chance .:fingers crossed:

• Informative Informative x 1
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +92,076
              Looking at it I just wonder if a decent prune might revitalise it, probably not the best time to do it now though, a bit too late now.

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +9,684
                I've never tried to propagate a rose. I've divided pots of miniature roses on a couple of occasions with some success 7 I've grown one from seed. That now flowers every year & has beautiful butter gold single flowers every year at the end of April beginning of May.
                Chinese rose just opened on balcony 30th April 2023 002 (Macro).jpg
                Chinese rose on balcony railings 6th May 2023 002.jpg

• Like Like x 3