1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

To prune or not to prune...

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Markymark, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +125
    A few years ago, I posted a pic of my tree as I was desperately trying to find out what type of tree it was. I def think it's some kind or cherry, but it is a grafted tree (if I've got that correct). When I bought it, the picture was of a round tree and I have always worked hard to keep its circular shape. Ten years on, I am beginning to wonder if I should abandon the circular shape as it looks awfully 'busy' with all the branches. I am posting a pic of my tree now, just before it starts to come into leaf (and flower -small white ones!).
    Should I be pruning this tree or should I keep letting it do its own thing? I don't really mind if it's not circular, I just want it to remain healthy. If I do prune it, can I do it now?
    Two pictures at the end are to show what it looks like when in leaf... it's about 9 ft tall....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Markymark,

Looking at it I'd say you've done a fantastic job of looking after it. It looks in pristine condition and very healthy. Personally I'd continue the way you are going as it supplies a perfect " ending " to your garden.
      If you start to let it grow a bit " wilder or un-trained " now , it would/might look a bit unsightly.

• Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
      Ratings:
      +125
      Brilliant! Thanks for that... will continue to let it do its thing then :-))

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • dalrimple

dalrimple Gardener

Ratings:
        +15
        Marky have you had any fruit or flowers on it and do you want it to flower ?atb Dal

• Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
        Ratings:
        +125
        Hi..". I've had flowers every year...small white ones but no fruit whatsoever. I took a sample back to the garden centre and they didn't know what it was...well couldn't be sure anyway. I tried posting on here a few years ago too but didn't come to an actual conclusion. I just love it anyway.

• Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
        Ratings:
        +125
        Here are some pictures that I originally posted....
        It was so tiny when I first got it ha ha

Attached Files:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,599
        I remember your previous thread Markymark. Cherries have a distinctive bark pattern so I wonder if you can give us a close up of the trunk please.

• Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
        Ratings:
        +125
        No problem...doing it now! Am spending an entire day in the garden today as it's half term and sunny(ish). Few primroses and daffs going on and am finishing a simple rock edging for my border.... don't you just love the thought of spring? Ha ha....
        The trunk bark is slightly different to the bark on the branches.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,599
          Hmmm.....a gut feeling! :) I think the original young tree has been snapped at some point and somebody has managed to graft something else to it quite high up. A usual graft would be close to the ground. Below that graft looks like a cherry to me but above it something different. The flower bud clusters suggest to me it's not a cherry and at a guess I would say it's possibly a pear. What we need now Markymark are close up pictures of the opened flowers, when that happens please. :)

• Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
          Ratings:
          +125
          no problem with that! Will get some as soon as they come out. I think I've got some saved somewhere...I'll have a look. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
          • Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
            Ratings:
            +125
            Here's a pic of flowers that I took some time back. Will try and get some really good close ups when it flowers this year.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
            • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
              Ratings:
              +10,593
              Have a huge hydrangea, about 20 feet tall, shaping it like a mini, tree. anyway, there is a part of the third trunk that I know has to go. I carry the saw, I stand and look at it, I talk to it. but still not yet. this weekend its got to be done, needs it. will look better.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,599
              Thanks for the picture Markymark. The leaves look quite leathery which leads me to think it's not a cherry. Best to wait for the new blossom shots, a couple attached to the tree would be good please. :)

• dalrimple

dalrimple Gardener

Ratings:
              +15
              defo a cheery there's one near me that is like this, I always thought it was a bird cheery ,it always flowers but seldom bears fruit and when it has they are small also it has the same bark paterns as yours , there's also another cheery across the road from it that is full of fruit every year the birds love em these where planted when the estate was built 20yrs ago along with other ornimental trees , I Love CHEERIES lol Dal

• Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
              Ratings:
              +125
              Thanks for that! How big do you think it will grow? I love it...even though it's getting harder and harder to reach the top to prune...