To sow direct into soil or start off in the greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Stingo, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Hi,

I'm in a dilema! do I sow directly into my allotment soil or start them off in my unheated greenhouse?

Last year I started them off in gh but it does take up a lot of space but they do have a good start.

What do you all do?

2. Poolcue

Poolcue Gardener

Ratings:
    +67
  3. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Mrs Chopper and I, have done both. We now have a home made propogator inside our small greenhouse. We get the seed going then move it to the greenhouse, then into the polytunnel. Which thenleaves space to start something else in the propogator.

Few days ago I sowed Parsnips and beetroot direct into the veg plot. I think you need to consider what seeds you have, when they should be sown and what protection you can give them if the weather turns bad again. We have been watching the weather and taking appropriate steps to protect what has started growing. The polytunnel does give some protection but is definately not frost free.

Mrs Chopper has a lot more experience than I have. I am a novice so I am experimenting and taking note of what happens to various plants in the bad weather. Big learning curve for me.

Maybe you could try a few seeds in the plot and some in the greenhouse. Watch the results and keep an eye on what happens if it turns cold again. That way you will have a much better idea of which way to go next year.

Goodluck.

Chopper.

4. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks Chopper, sorry Poolcue obviously I meant veg seeds and I'm thinking firstly of broad beans
    (why did I think you could read my mind!).

But I have come to a decision to start them off in GH. My neighbour sows all his veg seeds directly into his allotment and has varying results so I'm going to do what I did last year.

:dbgrtmb:

5. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Stingo, a great cheap solution for extra storage space are those 3 or 4 shelf mini greenhouses, I have two of these and they are great for moving things into to give me more space in the greenhouse. For example, right now one of them is full with red and white onions, shallots and sweetpeas, the other has late planted crocus and tulips in pots that are fast catching those in the soil in the garden.

Steve...:)

6. Poolcue

Poolcue Gardener

Ratings:
    +67
    If you want to get broad beans off to a good start start them in a greenhouse in pots,harden them off and then plant out.Then you will have no gaps

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I grow pretty much everything in pots and plant out - no gaps, grow just the number I want, less weed competition, don't need a seedbed ready and warm soil at just the right time, can sow the seeds at night / after dark :) - much easier for me to start them off at the RIGHT time if I don't have to rely on weather etc.

But its a lot more "faff"

I've had an article in draft on my blog for ages, so in light of this I have pressed the "Publish" button :)

http://kgarden.wordpress.com/tips/sowing-seeds-indoors/sow-direct-or-raise-plants/

8. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Great article Kristen...that should help many people.

Steve...:)

9. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nicely written article kristen. As Steve has said, im sure may people will benefit from that.

10. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997

With my cold, wet clay soil I've long been be a convert to starting off as much a possible in pots and cell tray inserts in my heated greenhouse, then transferring to coldframes before planting out, and as you say no waiting for the conditions to be right the get a seedbed together and established modules of plants will almost eliminate that painful business of weeding around tiny seedlings.

There's been too many cold wet Springs where it's been impossible to sow (and sometimes the same even in May), rapidly followed by hot dry weather that's baked the ground solid. If I get a chance to cultivate a patch of ground before I need it, I'll cover it with a polythene sheet to keep it warm, dry and weed free.

I always try and compare both methods. Leaf beet & land cress always do better sown in open ground IF they germinate, or don't get immediately hit by a drought, but a few extra plants sown in cell trays will equalise the yield. I can always pull up the worst performing crop and hang it up the the hens to peck at.

I've also found French 'fillet' beans will produce less vigorous plants, but more of just the right size pods if started in cell trays, and the same with sunflowers - cutting size blooms rather tall plants/large flower heads.

11. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I'm mostly a 'start off in the greenhouse" man. Actually I start off mostly in a propogator indoors then move them into the greenhosue once they have germinated.

Except for root crops like carrots and parsnips, if you disturb the roots when you transplant they will 'fork'. I've tried using root-trainers and the bog roll method but for me the direct method works best for root crops :thumbsup: