Toby Buckland

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by wiseowl, Aug 14, 2008.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    I see that Toby Buckland is the new Presenter Of Gardener,s World ,What do you think.:) First Programme on August the 19th:thumb::)
    [​IMG]

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Woo,Amateur Gardening magazine ran a poll the other week and it showed that Chris Beardshaw was the most popular choice{mine as well}.I saw GW the other week with Toby and some of the others on there and thought they were gently getting us used to seeing him.We shall see how it goes.:thumb:

I would like him to also have Chris and Rachel to help out rather than Carol Kleine and Joe Swift.Iam also glad that Christine Walkdon wasn't chosen.I would certainly have turned off if her and her big gob had got picked:D

3. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,093
    :) Yes that was quite a surprise.

He as been on GW quite a bit recently,they were obviously vetting him and are now happy with him.
    He seems an OK guy and will no doubt put his own stamp on the programme as time goes by,I hope so as I never miss the programme.
    I was rather hoping they would bring Allan Titchmarsh out of retirement,although a bit show bizzy he was a good gardener with charisma and passion.
    I for one will watch it whoever presents it as it is the content I am interested in not the presenter.

4. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    AT isn't exactly in retirement as he is doing loads of other things. I did like him presenting GW and he was a hard act to follow, but not as hard as Geoff Hamilton. I wasn't so keen on Monty Don, he just didn't "do it" for me.

I haven't watched GW for ages as I thought the programme had gone downhill since Titty's departure. I shall watch again in September to see how Toby Buckland turns out, there seems to be a very mixed reaction to his appointment (on other sites).

5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    personally, i dont watch it. TB does seem to have some knowledge as for the rest and the program in general..........

The whole thing is bitty and iritating. The level of mistakes and time filling camera shots is innexcusable. Even the most hapless gardener knows or ought to know about the need for spreading the root ball when transplanting shrubs from pots yet they never show this. I saw bit of one program were one guy was planting a shrub and using mycrorizae, he sprinkled it in the planrting hole!!! £10 wasted as it needs to be sprinkled on the actual roots of the shrub.

The coveradge of chelsea was comical, reapeat after repeat and the presence of the odius Alan tichmarsh.

6. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Haven't watched it since Geoff Hamilton.

7. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,093
    :) Pro you seem to know an awful lot about Gardeners World considering as you say, you dont watch it ;).

8. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I was watching one of those sky mgarden makeover programmes the other day foir all of two minutes while channel hopping and the presenters on there were showing you how to collect the seeds form Digitalis and they were not even wearing gloves:eek:

Now I was led to believe that when dealing with that plant becuase it is highly poisonous then e of the plant should come into contact with the skin,that is why when I collected my seed this year I wore rubber gloves.Can some more knowledgeable person tell me what is the right way to go on with this plant:confused:

9. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I've never heard of him - GW is on during daylight and that means I'm outside. If its raining I might watch a bit of TV or just to catch the news/weather forecast.

10. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Toby who?

It's high time the BBC's flagship gardening prog had a main presenter with knowledge, credibility, personality and humour. I always thought there was something "not quite right" with Monty Don although I was sorry to see him go with health problems. Just glad they didn't choose Carol Klein with her constant gushings about how passionate she was about this and that, while not showing us anything much.

For me, Geof Hamilton was the most comfortable presenter while Titty was the most professional. Both had bags of credibility and I could watch them by the hour. We need somebody of that calibre. I agree that Chris and Rachel would provide stability and eye-candy for the programme. Hope they stay to hold Toby Wossisname's hand.

11. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Kandy, the entire plant is poisonous including the seeds. I wouldn't advise anyone to touch it, never mind collecting seeds without hand and arm protection.

Here is the Wiki explanation of its toxicity.