Today's News

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mike Allen, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,098
    Well it seems that my very brief period of watching TV free. Has come to an end. I and many more, ''OLDIES'' are now going to have to pay up. Perhaps we will be granted some say asto what we wish to watch. Hey. Gary Liniker, we see him once a week and he's getting thousands. Then that lass with the black hair, what's her name? Miss Winkleham or whatever. She is believed to be th highest paid member of the BBC. For what? How does the BBC work all this out.

Now today. An East London Doctor has been sentenced to....................three life sntences for malpractice and sexual assaults on women patients. So what is deemed a life sentence. Fifteen years. B/Hell this day and age, when oldies are living far too long into their 90's plus. Now a life sentence equals 15 yrs. So this doctor is down for 3x15. To me that equates to 45yrs in clink. The report goes on. The judge. The Judge states he the offender should spend at least 15yrs inside.

Sorry. My last school report stated I had gained 98% in maths. What the hell is going on. Even judges can't add up. Perhaps we should all go back in time and re-watch the magic roundabout.

Steward. Another double please and for heavens sake. Get some larger glasses.

• Like Like x 6
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +614
      We live in a crazy world mike

• Agree Agree x 2
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,291
        Oh come on Mike , dont be like that.

Poor old Gary, he spends all that time on Saturday watching matches, then presenting Saturdays late night MOD, no wonder he is too tired to present Sunday evenings MOD, needs the whole week to rest up before next Saturday.

And little old Claudia, all that training and effort to act the fool on Strictly, does so well, though we have yet to laugh at any of her performances.

Crime and Punishment - nows that more like it, a real laugh !!

• Funny Funny x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,076
          I've never understood the law or how it works @Mike Allen , to me three life sentences also adds up to 45yrs. But what stupid lame brain come up with the fact that life was only 15 yrs, just call it 15 yrs, then we would all know what they were talking about.

Then you also get the stupidity of three life sentences running concurrently, ie. they only actually serve one life sentence of 15 yrs:rolleyespink:

The mind boggles at where these so called learned people are actually coming from, they certainly aint on the same planet as me.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +22,571
            Can depend on whether the sentences run concurrently (together) or consecutively (one after the other). The UK seems to give sentences that run concurrently. Most prisoners serve only a third to a half of their sentence; however in this case the judge has said at least 15 years before consideration for parole.

• Agree Agree x 3
            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,838
              You'll find, pete, that most of the laws that reduce sentences were, in fact, by Politicians legislating for them, the last Labour Government was responsible to most of those laws........The Judges pass the correct sentences but it's the Politicians who have interfered causing sentences to be reduced and the automatic halfway release among other similiar legislation was Labour Government legislation.:dunno::wallbanging::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                Ratings:
                +6,098
                I think Armandii that the smilies you have chosen, tells it all.

It does confuse me at times when. MP's in the House submit or put forward some new legislation, it then passes to the House of Lords. Here bums on seats include Judges and former top Police Officers. These being such persons we might think would take up the call. Sadly still so many laws etc go through, full of loop holes etc.

I think I'll stick to plants and the natural world.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                +100,838
                There are very few, if any, of Crown Court Judges or Top Police Officers, sitting in the House of Lords, Mike, as they normally just :dunno:get Knighted or the like.