Tomato Diagnoses

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by mfirth, Aug 6, 2010.

1. mfirth

mfirth Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am pretty new to the tomato growing game and (to my joy and surprise) they are/were doing really well however I have just noticed that they appear to have caught something :(.

There are 3 issues;

1. Brown and yellow edges to leaves (1.jpg and 2.jpg) mainly on the upper part of the plant.
    2. Curling leaves (3.jpg).
    3. Tiny black and white raised specks on the stems and branches (4.jpg) that appear to have very selectively weakened or killed sections of the plants.

Can anyone help me out with these?

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    It looks like a mineral deficiency, it's only mild so I wouldn't worry about it.

My guess is magnesium deficiency, quite often this appears when you start feeding the plant with a high-potassium tomato feed, up till then the plant looks nice and healthy. It is most common when using grow bags or containers. In severe cases premature defoliation can occur, but mild cases like yours are unlikely to affect yield or quality. It is easily treated by spraying with Epsom Salts (ask for Magnesium Sulphate at the chemists). Dissolve ½ oz in a pint of water (20g/litre) and apply as a foliar spray each day for a week.

3. mfirth

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

That is a relief. I was worried that the discolouration of the leaves was blight.

What you are saying would fit my situation. The "discolouration of the leaves" plants are in grow-bags and have recently been given some Tomorite. I am just about to go away for a few days, will they be ok until I get back?

Do you think that all 3 symptoms are down to magnesium deficiency as the plant with symptoms 2 and 3 is in a bed and has not been given Tomorite (as there is other veg in there as well)?

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Yes I'd say it was all down to magnesium deficiency, it depends how long you are going away for - I wouldn't leave them too long without checking. Epsom Salts work really quickly - after the first spray you notice the improvement after a day or two. I can't say I've ever waited to see what happens if you don't spray - yours only have a slight touch of it.

5. mfirth

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. They do appear to have picked up and are fruiting well :)

Thanks again.

6. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I think you are worrying too much Mfirth.
    Your tomatoes look pretty good.
    Few plants have perfect leaves - and you are not going to eat them.
    If the plants are growing and fruiting well - relax and enjoy.

7. mfirth

Ratings:
    +0
    You may be well right... ...but I have another worry.

I am not sure what has happened to the one in the picture below. I have had a look on the net and thought it was catface to start with but cannot find any thing that looks quite like it. :cnfs:

8. OllieMartin

OllieMartin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, I'd suggest a severe case of blossom end rot, how regularly do you water them? Have they got dry at any point?

It's the closest match from this list of tomato troubles:
    http://gardener.wikia.com/wiki/Tomato_troubles