tomato fruit seemingly too small

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Matt Jones, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a first time tomato grower. My plants are of the Sweet Million f1 variety, so they are a cherry tomato plant. But the fruits have appeared and are only a cm or so.

My plants have had a lot of stress - nearly drying out, being knocked over by the wind. I;, watering them daily - it's so hot and the leaves look like they are wilting. The remaining look like they have blossom drop but they all looked like this and most have fruits. I am feeding once a week.
    is there anything i can do to ensure maximum size?

Thanks in advance

2. jw_universe

jw_universe Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Are the tomatoes ripe? Cherry tomatoes are small anyway and if they're still green they will have some more growing to do. Mine start off tiny and are quite big now, even though I should probably give them more fertiliser than I do.

3. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing that makes me worried is there are larger ones beginning to ripen on the same trusses as miniscule ones. how often do you feed?

4. jw_universe

jw_universe Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My trusses have small and larger tomatoes on because they were pollinated at different times. I meant to feed my tomato plants once a fortnight but that doesn't always happen!

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,000
    The size sounds normal for Sweet Million, you need to feed at least once a week or better still (if you have time) twice a week at half strength. Main thing is to make sure they don't dry out.