tomato problem

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by heppy, May 13, 2006.

1. heppy

heppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    we bought a couple of patio tomato plants, for some reason the leaves on one seems to be going white or even looking as if the have been burned, the plants were hardened off before we bought them so i know its not cold affecting them, they are watered nightly and have been fed with a good plant food so what is causing this? would appreciate some advice as hav'nt grown tomatoes before. lee [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kaptainzep

kaptainzep Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunatly it is very difficult to see the leaves in these pictures. Try removing a leaf and taking a close up picture. I took these resting on a pile of books dont seam to able to find my try pod.IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/kaptainzep/cropped.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG]
    also try this site http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/cropindex.htm

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    Could be sun scorch, maybe.

4. Ystalyfera

Ystalyfera Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    A lot of my plants seem to have gone like that....The first set of plants I had I experimented by putting them under a UV light which probably didnt help the leaves.

The other plants have been on a window sill and now in a greenhouse which has the polythene which isnt completely clear.

My guess would be sun scorch but dont know how with the second batch of plants. They are all growing well apart from the discolouration on some leaves

5. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    heppy, when you say you water them everynight do you check the soil first.tomatoes are really soft,fussy plants and over watering and underwatering can both cause discolouration and wilting of leaves. what kind of soil have you used.they like the stuff from grow bags or manure or both.you dont feed them with anything else until you see your first fruit.petes right about the sun scorch,but i dont really think they should have been outside yet anyway-if at all.it could also be wilt fungi in the soil.sorry to say but i think the first plants had it but the second looks ok.

6. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have learnt again coming to this site.
    I watered all my tomato plants with liq tom feed last night thinking it would give them a boost.
    Mine have not flowered or got fruit on yet I didn/t realise the feed was only for when they have got fruit.
    Will they come to any harm?

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] I shouldn't think they will come to any harm & you only did it the once... Picky things these toms... ;)

8. cls123

cls123 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    On a different tomato problem, can anyone recommend an outdoor tomato variety that is resistant to blight? My outdoor tomatoes always go down with this.

9. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    CLS123

This week in Amateur Gardening mag, the bloke with a pont tail (forgotten his name), is covering a way of stopping blight for a while longer in the year, giving a longer cropping period.

It involves poles in the ground with a sheet over the tomato plants, like a make shift tent it looks ;) ..... You also get a free packet of poppy seeds .

Nathan.

10. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I have some Tomato seeds from Suttons called F1 Fantasio which Suttons claim are resistent to Blight.

They are specially for outdoors.
    The one main problem at the moment is that they are slow to germinate, and now they are pricked out, are very slow to grow to any height,so I have brought them into the house to try and speed up the growth, as they should be going outside next month, and they are only 6" high, so they better get a move on.

The chaps name from Amateur Gardening,the one with the pony tail is Bob Flowerdrew.

I will let you all know how these Toms go with the blight resistence. If I lose them to the blight, then I shall write to Suttons for an answer.

Kandy

11. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Sorry. It is Bob Flowerdew not Flowerdrew, slip of finger

Kandy

12. LesH

LesH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    B.F.idea of covering the plants with a clear plastic tent worked for me last year. I was still picking tomatoes on 6th November.