Tomato problems

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Veepul, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Veepul

Veepul Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  2. Veepul

Veepul Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am a first time gardener and trying to grow tomatoes for the first time.

Started with 10 seeds and they germinated and grew beautifully. Once they were 6-8 inches i transplanted them to bigger containers. Thats when my problems started.

Soon after i transplanted, the next day all were dull and withered. I thought its transplanting shock (Although i took maximum care) so left it.

Some plants eventually recovered, but 3-4 plants are still withered. I watered them, it rained etc but still they become normal sometime but again wither.

Then after a week, i unplanted one plant and put that in water. What i discovered was that the soil is very sticky and soggy.

On more inspection, its not draining very well and may be thats the problem. But still need your advice here.

Facts of potting soil: I used one part of Cocopeat and one part of black soil. The cocopeat came in compressed blocks and the black soil came in a 50kg bag. The black soil bag has composted manure written on it and is certified as a soil enhancer by reputable institutions.

I really thought this would drain very nicely but i turned out to be so wrong!

As you can see in the pics, almost all the plants are cursing me. The last 2 pics are from the small cups where there are 4 plants and that's how I stated all of them. They have so little space, little water and yet so happy.

3. Veepul

Veepul Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Without more information I'm making some assumptions.

I guess that you're living either in the southern hemisphere or in tropical/semi-tropical conditions. Otherwise it's the wrong time of year to be starting tomatoes.

I don't know about cocopeat but 'soil enhancer' is the wrong medium for potting on young plants. Soil enhancer is just what it says, for adding to your garden soil to improve its condition. If it's composted manure it would, almost certainly, have animal waste in it. This is too high in chemicals for young plants.

All you need for potting on is 'potting compost'.

Good luck :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Veepul

Veepul Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      I stay in Southern part of India if that helps.

This is what I used.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442038274.868370.jpg

• shiney

Ratings:
      +122,455
      It appears to be too rich in chemical constituents. Are you able to buy simple potting compost?

• Veepul

Veepul Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      They don't sell by that name due to low awareness. This guy gave me this when I asked for vermicompost! He said it's the same lol.

I originally intended to use a 1:1 ration of vermi with cocopeat. Would that also have been a bad idea?

• shiney

Ratings:
      +122,455
      Vermicompost is also too rich for potting on. If you are going to add it to potting soil then an absolute maximum of 10% is usually recommended. I'd be inclined to use no more than 5% until the first truss has set (flowers have turned into tiny fruit).

• Veepul

Veepul Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Am definitely doing a lot of things wrongly here. Can I add some sand as a quick fix for drainage now? Assuming that's the problem? I really can't see them struggling or withering.

• shiney

Ratings:
      +122,455
      It's very difficult for me to suggest anything as I don't know the condition of your soil but I do know that what you have said you have is too rich for young plants.

If you can't get ordinary potting compost I would be inclined to use garden soil mixed with a little sharp sand. Sharp sand is different from ordinary sand. Ordinary sand is likely to clog together and not help at all. If your garden soil is very sticky you could ask your supplier for something to help make it more porous.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Tomato plants drying out can cause permanent damage to the plant which will then continue to grow narrow deformed leaves, giving a withered appearance.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    • dash

dash Gardener

Ratings:
      +18
      If you can get normal potting soil then get that. Pool filter sand may help as a mix for draining.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      Do the plants in the first pictures really look that bad?

I'd be inclined. to be careful not to overwater, keep the plants out of direct sunshine if the weather is hot, and hope to see them get moving, at that point you can water more freely.

How hot is it there?

• Veepul

Veepul Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      It's pretty hot but since I transplanted it's been cloudy and occasional sunlight and rains.

By the way I forgot to mention one very important thing.

The day I transplanted into pots, I kept saucer below the pots. I watered the pots and let the excess water sit in the saucer for days thinking that the plant will wick how much ever it needs. Guess I was wrong to do that, or was it ok?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      Sounds like you might have overwatered.
      It happens here quite a lot, but then we are usually potting on when it quite cool, so the plants sit in cold wet compost.

Even so, if the compost you are using is fairly water retentive, even in hot conditions, a saucer of water under a newly repotted plant is not a good idea.