Tomato Questions

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Lisa+Jon, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Lisa+Jon

Lisa+Jon Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Some of our out door tomato leaves have all curled up, is this normal or is there a problem?? Also on on tomato plant I cant tell if there is a side shoot I need to nip out as it looks like one but has some flowers forming???

Many Thanks

These are the curly leave ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/img]

And this is the one i'm not sure if its a side shoot or not. Its the one that looks like a side shoot going directley up but it does have some flowers at the top, their only small though at the moment
    [​IMG]

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,053
    The curly leaves are nothing unusual, toms quite often do this when they are growing fast - yours look nice and healthy I don't think you have anything to worry about. They will uncurl as the plant grows, it's usually just the new top growth that does that.

You are right, the sideshoot is the branch going straight up in your photo. They always grow just above the join of a leaf with the main stem. Its got quite big for a sideshoot and yes if you leave it long enough it will get flowers and will produce fruit. Looks like you have nipped out most of the lower sideshoots already. Just make sure that you don't nip out the topmost growing tip just yet (wait until they have 4 to 6 trusses, i.e. branches with toms on them before snipping out the top) . If you do a search on "side shoot" you will find various advice on here, I always nip off the sideshoots, but a few don't and get good crops as well. What variety of tomato is it?

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,053
    BTW you have some pretty big grow bags :thumb: in your garden (3rd picture) what are they for?

4. Lisa+Jon

Lisa+Jon Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, glad they are not dying, the big bags are full of soil we dug from furth down our garden and are to be filled into the veg plot to level it up when the veg is done, the sleepers you can see will act as the retailing wall, I keep meaning to post the pics in the garden projects bit but need to find the time to upload all the pics.

lisa + Jon