Tomatoes: Am I worrying about nothing

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ninhydrin, Apr 29, 2012.

1. ninhydrin

ninhydrin Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I am attempting tomatoes for the first time, they are in my greenhouse and have either been purchased as plants from garden centres or adopted from other allotment owners.
    I have been reading up on diseases and things to look out for but I think (hope) I am maybe worrying about nothing... but... I have noticed some darker patches on the leaves that resemble "blight" in a book I have, although as you can see from my last picture the top leaves do look very healthy. tom01.jpg tom02.jpg tom03.jpg tom04.jpg tom05.jpg
    Could someone either confirm this or put my beginner mind at rest.

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi.

Imo, it's not blight. It looks to me like the effects of cold.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
      Ratings:
      +3,035
      I think Freddy is right - cold. Typical blue colouration, and while it doesn't do the plants any good it wont kill them and you should still get a decent crop.
      Blight doesn't usually start appearing until the weather gets much warmer. It's usually well into June and mainly July onwards before we get any blight warnings up here. Blight more usually affects outdoor plants as the spores are carried by the wind. I've never had it on tomatoes under glass or plastic but have had it two or three times on outdoor plants.

• ninhydrin

ninhydrin Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Ah thank yous both very much, cold would be the obvious answer as its not a heated greenhouse. My other concern is some of the lower leaves are turning yellow and going dry, should i simply snap these off or leave them? I think this photo show my concern.
      tom06.jpg

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,517
      Hi.

To me, it looks like the plant has been set back, and will probably take a little while to recover. What I would do is to try to raise the minimum temperature at night. One way to do that is to bring it(them) in at night. I would also water sparingly for a while. As for the lower leaves, I'd leave them for now,but what you COULD do is to remove them when you are ready to plant them in their final planting place. Plant them up to their remaining leaf joints, and in so doing, more roots will form. I'm no expert, but that's what I'd be inclined to do. Hope this helps...

Cheers...Freddy

• Like Like x 3
      • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
        Ratings:
        +3,035
        Leave them on until their stems turn yellow as at present they are probably still working a bit.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Tomatoes need to be kept above 10C, otherwise they stall. Once they stall they can take ages to get going again, and it takes it out of the plants of course - bit like us shivering and going numb on a cold day!

If you can't maintain 10C it might be worth considering buying plants later (next year).

I think it is far too early for Blight. Blight is also characterised by black on the stems so if you don't have any black on the stems cross that "pest" off the list :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
        • ninhydrin

ninhydrin Gardener

Ratings:
          +2
          blight
          Yes and I was told that 1 week of lush weather would mean tears later when the frosts come, talk about putting us into a false sense of security! I will just have to wish that the weather pics up soon and hope for the best.
          Learning by my mistakes and taking tips from others is what its all about isn't it?
          Cheers to everyone who has replied I appreciate it :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
          • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
            Ratings:
            +7,341
            Yeah
            I had the same with a Tigerella, I took the two bottom stalks off, and I stuck them in the compost in the same pot, amazingly I now have THREE Tigerella's ?

Jack McH

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,668
            Armpit cuttings? Yeah ... works well. You could help out your locally Garden Centre by "pinching out" the sideshoots for them to save them a job :)

Fair chance that they will bear their first truss lower down the plant than a seed-sown plant ... so you get more trusses before the plant hits the roof ... but they will start later, of course, because they have some catch-up to do.

A.N.Other forum did an annual-contest last year (I think) for the maximum number of armpit-cutting generations achieved in a single season ...