Tomatoes growing on potatoes ??

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by tuttifrutti, Jul 28, 2006.

1. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there i am new to this forum and am desperatly in search of answers to this phenomonum. the other day i was earthing up some deserre potato plants i have in my back garden. Stranglely they were lying down, and have been for some time - i just thought it was through lack of water, as you would given the weather. On closer inspection i found trusses of tomato like fruit growing where the flowers had been - on the potato plants. I have outdoor tomatoes growing 12ft away and my first thought was they had been cross pollinated by bees etc as we have alot of buzzy workers in our garden this year. I have not heard of this happening before is this unusual? I have heard that you can graft tomatoes on to the top of a potato plant and get potatoes underneath and tomatoes on top.

Will these potato / tomatoes be edible, they are unripe and a cross between a new potato an a tomato- green at the top and white toward the bottom.

has anybody any suggestions??? Please?????

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    The fruit of the potato is very very poisonous! After all they are related to Deadly Nightshade etc. Do not eat them! They are just a good sign that your potato plants have grown well, flowered and are getting ready for autumn.

4. Deserter

Deserter Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I was wondering about them too, I got some from some Maris Pipers. We actually planted them last year, got the crop in but must have left a couple in the ground, and when they grew back it seemed a shame to dig them up. I've also got one tomato plant and a squash plant which I cultivated for three months thinking it was broccoli!

I am still new to this game...

5. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all your answers!!