Tomatoes - How high? How many trusses?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Steve R, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Plants in my greenhouse are at or are nearly six foot now. most have 4 trusses some have 5. They have now reached the roof of the greenhouse where it starts to slope upwards.

I could pull the tom plants in towards the centre of the greenhouse to give them more growing height, is this the corect thing to do or should I be thinking about topping them now?

Regards

Steve...:)

2. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would top them. I'm topping mine at 6 foot because i cant reach the crops any taller anyway.

3. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Steve, You could pull the tops over if you wish, but I normally take out the growing point once the toms reach the roof. If you can, leave a leaf at the top to help the plant draw up nutrients from the bottom.
    Mind you, yours have only got 4 - 5 trusses per 6ft of plant. I have just counted mine and 5ft plants have 6 trusses and will probably get to 7 by the time they are 6ft. Perhaps it's the variety I'm growing, Gardeners Delight.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I top mine one month before first frost expected. I reckon if you top them now, in June, that you will have ripened all the fruit long before the end of the season.

You could layer them - which is what they do commercially to grow Tomatoes over a long-season - drop them down, along, and then up the "next" cane in effect giving you another 2 or 3 feet per plant. Depends a bit where the lowest truss with unripe fruit is.

5. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Layering sounds interesting although I'm not sure my plants would "bend" that low down.

In height, they are at the top of the walls/base of the roof so I could now train them along the base of the roofline a few feet, then up the roof itself. Would that be reasoanable do you think? (my plants are not really as high as I first mentioned, they are in 18 inches of grow bag, atop a harde surface, so are really only 4ft+)

Its a learning curve this year (first year with greenhouse AND edibles), Early spring next year I can remove the glass and drill some holes in the roof supports to aid tieing up, but for now I think I'll have to make something out of canes for this.

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Can you support their weight (including crop!) up the roof? If so that sounds like a good plan.

Don't know if it would work for your greenhouse, but I plant my Tomatoes down the side of the central path, where the roof is tallest, and then plant shorter things (Melons and Peppers) along the outer wall

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    I'd have a go at training them along the roof Steve, provided you can rig up the supports, when the trusses are fully laden they are very heavy so you do need something substantial. If you start now before they hit the roof you might get another truss or two.

8. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,365
    Moving them forward to a higher part of the greenhouse is a good idea as long as you have room to work round them. Running them up the roof is also good if you can physically do that without the plants actually touching the glass. The problem with the leaves touching the glass is that whitefly absolutely love it. Not a problem if you spray but can be if you don't.

You can have as many trusses as thwe plant and your growing medium will support as long as you do as Kristen has said and stop them at least a month before frost. With indeterminates, once you get a little bit of colour in the toms on the first truss you should remove the leaves below them (they will probably be dying back a bit anyway).

Growing edibles is fun :yho:

9. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Thanks kristen, I'll get onto that today...it'll probably be like Bridge on the river kwai when I've finished with it.

The greenhouse is not as tall as I would like, its resting on one course of bricks only.It had to be shallow so that the ramp angle out for Anne was shallow and manageable due to her mobility issues.

Thanks again.

10. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I wish I had the space to do like this....

[​IMG]

I now have truss envy...:lollol:

11. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,827
    Why don't you do a mixture of the suggestions above and exclusively use the method you find to be best next year?

12. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  13. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I've put mine on two courses of bricks, and dug the floor out, to give me more cropping height ... its an issue, for sure!

14. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    Its one reason why I'm trying the deep planting idea. Mine have just started to touch the roof, I was planning to lower the strings to lay them down this year as an experiment, but very few have ripened so far so I don't want to lay the lowest trusses on the soil.

15. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I have just eaten my first ripe tomato, and it tasted of sunshine.