tomatoes just flowering

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by debs99, Aug 6, 2006.

1. debs99

debs99 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone, i'm new to gardening and this site so please bear with me. i live in yorkshire and my outdoor tomatoes are only just flowering. Can anyone tell me if this where i live or is there something i can do to speed up the process next year and will i get tomatoes this year. thanks :confused:

2. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, we used to live in Yorkshire and always grew our tomatoes in a green house. We found that growing them outdoors didn't allow enough season for the tomatoes to grow and ripen. They also tended to be a little hard. If you don't have room for a greenhouse you could always rig up a little glass house just big enough for your tomatoes, that might help in future.

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Hi Debs, we live a few hundred miles north of you and the outdoor toms have plenty green fruit on. We've grown Gardeners Delight outdoors for years and never failed to get a good crop.
    This year they were sown on 2nd April and brought on in pots in the house before planting out in May in a bed against a south facing wall. I cover them with old window frames leaning against the wall for the first couple of weeks after they go out.
    Last year we had a crop of toms in a flower bed where they had self seeded in the top dressing of compost I put on in spring!